Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines
29067132

I have a Intek 190, 6 hp briggs, model 121432 and stratton

Customer Question

I have a Intek 190, 6 hp briggs, model 121432 and stratton motor on a generac power washer that wont run. I took the carberator apart and cleaned it. It is hard to start and when it does will only run wide open with the choke on. Then sometimes fluctuates fast to slow. Any help please
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jon K. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you find the answer you need to resolve your problem.

It sounds like you have an air leak. Did you replace the carb to intake gasket and the intake to engine gasket when you removed the carb?

If you can get me the code and serial number of the engine I will be able to take a closer look at your engine and carb

Edited by Jon K on 2/12/2011 at 12:29 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did not replace the gaskets they look fine. I was having the same problem prior then it would not start at all before I cleaned the carb. Not sure which one of these is the model number, came off the muffler.

980C16FD

121432

0119E1

Expert:  Jon K. replied 3 years ago.
I took a look at your carb, there doesn't appear to be any removable jets or other parts that you can remove. I would suggest cleaning it again. Only this time remove it and completely disassemble it, then take all the metal parts and soak them in a good commercial carb cleaning solution (available in most auto parts stores) for 24 hours. This will allow any foreign material or build up to be removed from the passages that we can not see or physically get to. Once the 24 hours are up blow everything dry with compressed air and then reassemble it using a new complete carb kit. A normal cleaning is just not good enough sometimes even though the carb may appear to be clean. You already know that you problem is in the carb since it helped when you originally cleaned the carb
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Could it be a problem with tension on the old springs? When I start it a fell trottle then adjust it back it stops and will only run with the choke on. Thanks
Expert:  Jon K. replied 3 years ago.
Probably not, having to run the engine with the choke on tells us that the engine is not getting enough fuel and there is something blocking the flow from the carburetor to the engine
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am skeptical if I soak the carberator for 24 hours and that doesnt work then I am out $17, then what?
Expert:  Jon K. replied 3 years ago.
Every once in a while I see a carb that is bad enough that even after soaking it I can not bring it back to life. The only option then is to replace it. If you want to soak it and then rebuild it and then get back to me you can. You do not have to accept this answer until you are satisfied
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks I will try that.

Expert:  Jon K. replied 3 years ago.
Great let me know how it works out. This will clean out the carb as much as possible and I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Make sure you use a new carb kit when you reassemble it or you may not have the results that you are looking for.