J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.

I have a Coleman Powermate Maxa 4000 electric generator model

Customer Question

I have a Coleman Powermate Maxa 4000 electric generator model PM0524000 with a Tecumsah 8 hp engine, Model HM80 155619RB, DOM 7167A. No serial number.

1st When was the engine made?
2nd When the engine starts, it races, runs for about 30 seconds and starts back fireing, starts to stumble, then I have to push the throttle ahead and joggle it to keep the engine running.

What is the problem and how can I fix it?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
The engine was built the 167th day of of 1997. As for the racing engine, did you loosen up any of the governor linkages when you took the carburetor off of the engine
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No. I just removed the needle valve nut, metal gas bowl, brass float, and float gas shut off valve. I did not remove the carberator from the engine.
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.

Take the bolt out of the bottom of the carburetor that holds the bowl on. That is the main jet. It has small holes in the sides and one down through the center. Use a small wire and clean out those holes.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have done that already
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.

I would try to adjust the governor. Here is a link to the service manual which will walk you through it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I received the Tecumseh technician's handbook and have reviewed the SERVICE - GOVERNOR ADJUSTMENT. However,it is 24 degrees and I am going to wait until the day warms up. How do I get back to you if I loose this connection?
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
Just reply back to this question.