Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

how do i replace the pull cord on my 6 horsepower tecumseh

Customer Question

how do i replace the pull cord on my 6 horsepower tecumseh engine? the pully seems to be two pieces held together with four screws. the spring has also let loose.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 3 years ago.

Ranwell1 :

Please give me the model and serial numbers off of the ENGINE and I can give you the best answer. I need to find out which starter you have.

Customer :

model #H6075003

Ranwell1 :

Here is a breakdown. http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=tecumseh&mn=RS1-590449&dn=RES01RES_01590449-RS

Customer :

now what should I do? what is this link for?

Ranwell1 :

Here is a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3NjVomUQJM

Customer :

this is not the recoil I have. the pully has to be lifted out. there are 4 screws holding it together from the back side. rope needs to be inserted and wrapped around a pin. also - main spring has unraveled and flown out. do not know which way it is to be installed.

Ranwell1 :

I will have to find out which recoil you have. But the rope should be installed in almost exactly the same way.

Ranwell1 :

Almost all recoils have the rope installed the same way.

Ranwell1 :

I will see if I can find a different recoil for this motor but this is the usual one.

Customer :

this is the first time i have ever seen a recoil like this. the pully is manufactured in two pieces - top and bottom. it has held together with four screws from the bottom side up. it appears that you unscrew the four screws, wrap the cord around a pin, there is no knot. the top is then placed over the bottom piece. four screws are then reinstalled tightening it together sandwiching the two halves together pinching the rope. when I lifted it out the large main spring uncoiled. any help would be appreciated.

Ranwell1 :

If you can send me a picture I can tell you what it is. I think that what has pappened is someone has changed starters to this one. I have looked at all the manuals of your engine and the starter I sent you was the only one used on your engine according to the manuals.

Ranwell1 :

Most likely you are right.

Ranwell1 :

About 40 years ago or so, they make a starter like what you are describing.

Ranwell1 :

And you are right, you will have to unscrew the 4 bolts and install the starter rope as you have said. Make sure taht you use the EXACT size of Profession Lawnmower starter rope that it has in it, or, you will end up doing it agan as the rope will pull out.

Ranwell1 :

Be very careful when you take it apart not to break anything as parts for this one are NOT available AT ALL. Not only is the starter old and obsolete, but Tecumseh has gone out of business about 2 years ago. Only old time dealers like myself, have any of the older parts.

Ranwell1 :

In order for you to send me a picture, I am going to have to change this question . Out of chat... to a regular question. If you are typing a message, please, copy what you are typing so you will not lose it. Then past it in the response box of the new format. You then can send me a picture by clicking on the Tree Icon.

Ranwell1 :

I will wait a minute for you to do this before I change the format.

Ranwell1 :

I am still here and wil wait for your response you are typing

Customer :

We can't send a picture - we would like to be out of the chat.

Ranwell1 :

OK, I will change it over to the regular question format where we can still talk.

Customer :

no thank you

Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 3 years ago.
Ok, I have changed the format. Keep talking to me and I will try to continue to help. If I find any other information that will help you. I will send it to you here at this question.

----------Feel free to contact me here at this question anytime ...even after you hit the "ACCEPT" button ...and I will try to help further.

Please click "ACCEPT" or I won't get paid.

You may also consider sending a bonus if I have been helpful, Please leave POSITIVE feedback for me as this is how I'm rated. Remember, a neutral is nearly as bad as a negative. If not satisfied, contact me and I will make it right. Thanks