Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines

I have a Snapper SX 5200 snowblower and I have had tried to

Customer Question

I have a Snapper SX 5200 snowblower and I have had tried to deal with this issue for the last 4 winters: I get it started, works great for 15-20 min and then I hear the engine almost kick into overdrive (RPMs crank up) and now I know it's going to stall out within 1-2 minutes. After it stalls, I let it sit for a few minutes and it will start back up, but does the same cycle but this time much quicker. The engine cranks up real loud in about 2 minutes and then it stalls out. I have had the spark plug replaced, fuel filter, etc. Every year it does this.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jon K. replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you find the answer you need to resolve your problem.

Lets start with the easy things first as this may be a simple fix. If it does not work we will dig deeper until we find the problem.

First I want you to remove the gas cap and look at the underside of it. Is there a metal disc on the inside of it? Next please look inside the gas tank with a flashlight and check to see if there is anything inside the tank (there should not be anything)

Now we can test this by just running it outside. Let it run full speed and just watch it. I want you leave the gas cap very loose.

Let me know what you find and we will continue