Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have an HS828 Honda snowblower that will not go forward or

Customer Question

I have an HS828 Honda snowblower that will not go forward or backward. I have checked belt tension and integrity, hydrostatic fluid, and engage- disengage lever. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 3 years ago.

Vince O. :

Is the cable moving enough to engage the drive? Try adjusting the cable a couple turns.

Customer :

I have already adjusted the cable, checked the belt for wear and lubricated the idler arms. Even though the machine is 16 years old it has been stored inside and well maintained. The problem was not a slow evolving one - one minute it was working and the next it was not. I'm not very familiar with hydrostatic drives but what's to break besides a pump shaft? As I understand it isn't it just a progressive manifold regulating hydraulic flow?

Vince O. :

I'm not that familiar with the hydro drive myself,but one more question.Has that cable ever been replaced? They do stretch over time and can be adjusted to the very end and still no good.See if you can pull the cable with a pair of pliers to see if there is movement then. If that isn't the problem I'll opt out and let another assist you.

Customer :

The cable is in good condition. I removed the cover from the belts so I was able to observe the change in the belt tension after adjusting the cable. The belt is responding properly to the actuation of the lever that is supposed to engage the forward-reverse drive.

Vince O. :

How about the shifter cable? Did you make sure it moves?

Customer :

Yes

Vince O. :

I will opt out now,there's no more I can do for you.Maybe there's someone here who can help with your problem.Good Luck.

Vince O. :

Unfortunately Honda doesn't offer too much info and they wan't you to take it to a dealer.

Customer :

Thanks for your effort but I'm afraid the problem is internal. I thoroughly inspected the forward-reverse arm at the transmission case and was hopeing that the drift pin was sheared or something but I can see the shaft moving with the arm. I really hate going to the shop and be at the mercy of the B.S. Thanks again.