Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines

I am trying to change the auger belt on my Toro 924 snowblower.

I am trying to change the auger belt on my Toro 924 snowblower. I have had problems getting the old belt off because of the clearance between the bottom pulley and the housing appears to be insufficient to allow the belt to be removed. I cut the belt but now my problem is getting the new belt on. Any suggestions? Also, should the auger turn freely after the belt is removed? That is not happening with my machine.

Thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you find the answer you need to resolve your problem.

The auger should not move with the belt removed, there is a brake up against the auger pulley that will stop you from tuning it.

If you can not slide you new belt up between the two pulleys then you may want to hinge your machine to make it easier. On either side of the auger housing there should be two bolts (each side) that keep your auger housing attached to the motor / drive housing. If you remove the tow upper bolts (one on each side) and loosen the two lower bolts, the machine should hinge on the lower bolts allowing you much more access to the belt system.