Chris
Chris, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  20 years of servicing small engines of all kinds

I have a troy bilt snowblower that is less than a year old.

Customer Question

I have a troy bilt snowblower that is less than a year old. The engine won't turn over. What should I do?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Chris replied 3 years ago.

Chris :

Define turn over, does it spin and not start? Or nothing at all

JACUSTOMER-dxexbu34- :

it spins and doesn't start.

JACUSTOMER-dxexbu34- :

Electric starter.

Chris :

Has it been sitting for a while?

JACUSTOMER-dxexbu34- :

a year.

JACUSTOMER-dxexbu34- :

i changed the gas.

Chris :

Here is what happend. Fuel goes bad in as little as 30 days, when this happens it cloggs up the small passageways inside the carb and stops the flow of fuel to the engine. To comfirm this you could remove the spark plug and put about a teaspoon of fuel into the hole. Reinstall the plug and attempt to start, if it tries and dies you have a dirty carb.

JACUSTOMER-dxexbu34- :

Ok, 2 questions.

JACUSTOMER-dxexbu34- :

1) when I put the spark plug back in do I need to get the gap perfect?

JACUSTOMER-dxexbu34- :

2) if it's a dirty carb, I assume I'll need to have it serviced?

JACUSTOMER-dxexbu34- :

and

JACUSTOMER-dxexbu34- :

3) assuming I need a special tool to remove the spark plug.

Chris :

You do not need to regap it as long as you do not drop it. A socket and ratchet will be needed to r/r the plug. If you give me a minute i can give you a link to a video with the instructions on how to clean the carb.

JACUSTOMER-dxexbu34- :

ok

Chris :

Please remember to click on the accept button at the eend of this chat, it is the only way i am compensated for my time..Thanks

JACUSTOMER-dxexbu34- :

Will do. Thanks.

Chris, Small Engine Technician
Experience: 20 years of servicing small engines of all kinds
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did the following:
Removed spark plug and added poured gas in. It spit out a black cloud and then the engine fired up for about 5 seconds.
Then I cleaned the carburetor. Some gas poured out (as expected). It was very very clean. No issues.
Went back... still didn't start up. It revs but won't turn.
What should I do from here?
Expert:  Chris replied 3 years ago.
Was the main jet plugged up? Did you poke through the small holes in it? If you dump more gas in the spark plug hole will it attempt to start? If so you still have a carb issue.