Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines

I have older craftsman snow thrower. The second stage is not

I have older craftsman snow thrower. The second stage is not throwing the snow and bogs down. I know on the lower augers there are shear bolts than can be replaced. Last night there was a short period of time where there was a smell like burning oil. Tonight the second stage was not working properly. It spins when the auger controls are engaged. With the blower off it freely spins in one direction but not the other. Is there something similar to shear bolts for the second stage or is there something in a gear box that needs to be replaced.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jon K. replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you find the answer you need to resolve your problem.

First please check your auger belt. This is the most common thing to go bad. If you remove the belt cover and squeeze the auger handle you should be able to check if the belt is tight. It needs to be good and tight with minimal deflection.

On the impeller (2nd stage) there are no shear pins, but there are 2 roll pins that go through it and the axle that runs through it. These can be accessed by removing the chute and working straight down that hole.

If your gear box has an issue you should be able to grab your augers and spin them (even for a short spin) without the impeller turning.

If you have more questions please do not hesitate to respond to this question.