Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers

I HAVE A TROY-BILT STORM SERIES SNOWBLOWER WITH TECUMSEH 5.5

I HAVE A TROY-BILT STORM SERIES SNOWBLOWER WITH TECUMSEH 5.5 HP ENGINE. THE LAST TIME I USED THE MACHINE ABOUT 2 WEEKS AGO IT RAN FINE THAN STARTED TO SPUTTER AND STALL. SINCE I CAN START IT VIA THE ELECTRIC START IT WAS NOT A PROBLEM, I WAS DONE WHEN IT STARTED TO SPUTTER AND STALL. i FIGURED IT PROBABLY HAD MOISTURE IN THE GAS, SO I DUMPED IN A BOTTLE OF STP GAS DRY GAS AND IT CONTINUED TO SPUTTER. I HAVE CHANGED THE SPARK PLUG, DRAINED ALL THE GAS OUT AND REPLACED IT WITH NEW GAS, YET NOW IT JUST WONT START TURNS OVER BUT WONT START, DOES NOT EVEN SPUTTER, JUST SOUND OF STARTER TURNING. IT SOUNDS TO ME LIKE IT IS NOT GETTING GAS. I EVEN WENT AS FAR AS TO USE A HAIR DRYER FIGURING MAYBE THE LINE WAS FROZEN!!! MY LAST RESORT IS TO TAKE THE BOX WITH THE THROTTLE OFF TO GAIN ACCESS TO THE OTHER END OF THE FUEL LINE AND DISCONNECT IT TO SEE IF IN FACT FUEL IS RUNNING THROUGHT THE LINE OR IT IS CLOGGED!!! HELP!!!!!!
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 3 years ago.

Vince O. :

Hello,did you check for spark? Remove the plug and insert it in the wire and let it rest on engine while cranking.Do not prime or have on choke when checking and move it away from plug hole.

Customer :

i just did what you said, and i saw no spark on the plug, so am i to assume that the plug is bad and should be replaced

Vince O. :

Is the plastic safety key installed? If not there won't be spark.

Customer :

yes it is installed

Customer :

just went out and put brand new spark plug in

Customer :

new plug has spark but still wont turn over

Vince O. :

When you last added fuel,was it the last of the fuel in your can?

Vince O. :

I'm wondering if there was dirt,water or rust in the bottom of can

Vince O. :

The carb may need cleaned out.

Customer :

it was about a third full in the red plastic fuel container, I dumped any gas in the snowblower out, and went and put brand new gas into the can and filled the blower tank from the new gas, i first added dry gas into the tank before putting new gas into blower

Vince O. :

Remove the metal cover,the choke knob pulls off,2 screws on the side and 1 on top near muffler.Squirt some carb cleaner into carb to see if it fires up.

Vince O. :

If it starts and quits the nozzle may be plugged up.Clamp the fuel line and remove the bowl bolt,when you remove the nut on the bottom look in the center of of it,it is a nozzle the fuel travels through.Poke a wire down the center (a bared bread twister) to make sure center hole is open then look on the side above the hex part for a hole that goes through it .Spray with carb cleaner and verify it coming out holes.reassemble and test. There is a nozzle in the center also.Aim the nozzle from carb cleaner up the center of the carb and spray.

Full Size Image

Customer :

i'm going to have to go out and get the carb cleaner, ran out. Anything else I can do after that. I had the cover off earlier and removed the pinch clamp off the fuel line to see if any gas was coming through, and it sprayed gas, so i figured the fuel line was not clogged with any dirt or crud from plastic gas can. i'm beginning to think it might be the carb or a blocked nozzle. Because when I depress the primer bulb, you do not get that flooded gas smell, and I even cranked the starter while depressing the primer button, and did not get the flooded gas smell

Vince O. :

There's a good chance the brass nozzle is clogged.

Vince O. :

The fuel enters through there before getting drawn up th center tube.

Customer :

well I will have to try that in the morning, hopefully not that much snow will fall!thanks for all your help!

Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience: Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers