J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.

I have a brand new Craftsman 24 snow thrower (Model 247.88957)

I have a brand new Craftsman 24" snow thrower (Model 247.88957) that will not start, either manually or with the electric starter. There is fresh fuel, oil, key is in, choke on full, primed repeatedly and it just cranks but will not start. Any ideas?

Hello and welcome to Just Answer,

I need you to do a test for me. Take the spark plug out of it. Put about 3 tablespoons of gas into the spark plug hole and then put the plug back in and attach the plug wire. Try to start it and let me know what it does.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, I did as you suggested. The first few pulls gas came out the exhaust. Then, it caught and the engine started for just a few seconds. Before I could begin to back off the choke it died. I tried cranking again repeatedly but wouldn't start. Could it be flooded now and I just need to wait a bit? Should I try with the electric start?
The problem is a plugged up jet in the carburetor. The entire carburetor needs to be taken off of the engine. It will need to be taken completely apart and rebuilt.