Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines

pull cord just snapped on my mtd 230 snowblower - how can I

pull cord just snapped on my mtd 230 snowblower - how can I best repair it

Thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you find the answer you need to resolve your problem.

These are fairly easy to rewind. Remove the four bolts that hold the recoil housing onto the engine. This is as far as you need to disassemble it. Turn it over and you should see the knot from the old rope get some needle nose pliers if necessary and pull the old rope out by the knot. This is by far the hardest part. Once all the old rope is gone begin to prewind your pulley by turning it in the same direction as if you were pulling out the rope to start it. Wind it up as far as you can until it stops. Now turn it back until the hole in the pulley and the hole in the housing line up. Insert your new rope through the housing hole and straight through he hole in the pulley and tie a knot. Holding onto the rope, allow the spring tension to pull the rope into the housing. Reinstall on your engine.