I have an mtd 8/26 snowblower, one half of the auger works

I have an mtd 8/26 snowblower, one half of the auger works while the other half doews not.
How do i remove the auger from the machine
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  RUSS replied 5 years ago.

Hi, this is Russ, I'll be helping you with your problem today. THANKS! There are shear pins or bolts in the auger halves. I think one is broken thus cuasing only 1/2 of the auger to work.

1. 1

Check your snow blower user's manual to get the correct-size shear pin. Go to the local home store or hardware store and purchase a supply of the shear pins.

2. 2

Shut the snow blower off. Remove the key. Pull the wire off the spark plug. You don't want to take any chance that the snow blower might accidentally start when you have your hands inside the blade mechanism.

3. 3

Turn the auger on the snow blower until you see the spot where the shear pin goes. It's going to be where the two parts of the drive shaft come together. If you still don't see the shear pin, check your user's manual for its location.

4. 4

Remove what's left of the shear pin. It should come out easily. Sometimes they fall out when they break. In rare cases, you need to take a punch and a hammer and gently tap the shear pin out of the hole.

5. 5

Align the drive shaft holes until you can slide the replacement shear pin into the hole. On most machines there is only one way the pin goes into the hole, which is the correct way. Tighten the nut onto the threaded end of the shear pin.

6. 6

Rotate the auger manually to make sure the blades are operating properly. If not, inspect the secondary shear pins to make sure one of them isn't the problem. If it is, replace it.

7. 7

Reconnect the spark plug. Turn the snow blower on and make sure it's working properly.

Read more: How to Replace Snow Blower Shear Bolts |