Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines
29067132

I HAVE A SNOWBLOWER THTA I CANT PULL THE CRANK CORD THE

I HAVE A SNOWBLOWER THTA I CAN'T PULL THE CRANK CORD?
THE ELECTRIC STARTER WON'T CRANK THE ENGINE EITHER.
ANY SUGGESTIONS?
ED
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jon K. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you find the answer you need to resolve your problem.

We can work through this and determine what is wrong with your engine. The first thing I need to know is if the oil is filled to the appropriate level.

Also please remove the spark plug and see if the engine turns over with the pull rope and no plug installed.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OIL IS OK.
THE SNOW BLOWER IS AT A SMALL ENGINE REPAIR SHOP.
THEY HAD NO TIME TO WORK ON IT.
I WAS PLANNING TO PICK IT AND BRING IT HOME SO I CNA WORK ON IT.

THE MACHINE IS TWO YEARS OLD.

IF I TAKE THE SPARK PLUG OUT AND STILL CAN'T PULL THE PULL CORD,WHAT NEXT?

ED
Expert:  Jon K. replied 3 years ago.

If this happens then I want to remove the recoil assembly and check the flywheel to make sure that the starter gear has not broken and gotten caught between the ignition coil and flywheel. (this happens a lot). If everything checks out then use a large socket that fits over the flywheel bolt and see if you can move the engine in either direction.(still with the plug out) If none of this works then you may be looking at a seized or blown engine

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
LETS SAY THE ENGINE IS FROZEN,
WHAT NEXT NEXT?
NEW ENGINE?
ED
Expert:  Jon K. replied 3 years ago.
If the engine is seized then you have two options, rebuild it or replace it. Being a relatively new machine I would probably open the engine up and find out what broke inside it and then determine if it was cost efficient to rebuild it
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience: Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
I AM NOT SURE WHAT I WILL DO WITH THE SNOWBLOWER.
WE HAVE A STORM COMING AND I NEED A BLOWER.
I WILL PICK IT UP FROM THE REPAIR SHOP.
AND PLAY WITH THE ENGINE IN THE SPRING.
MIGHT JUST BUY SOMETHING SMALL TO GET ME BY THE THIS SEASON.
AGAIN THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOU RHELP.
ED