Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines

Ariens 5520 snowblower with a Tecumseh engine won't start

I have a Ariens 5520 snowblower with a Tecumseh engine and the fuel was bad. i changed the gas but the blower still won't start. is there a gas filter that i can't see? The engine doesn't seem to be getting any fuel.
Please help.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer. I will do my best to help you find the answer you need to resolve your problem.

You most likely have some fuel left over in the carburetor itself, or you have a plugged jet.

First turn of your fuel or pinch off the fuel line.

Turn you machine on its snout so that the handles are facing straight up in the air.

On the side of the engine you will see the carburetor float bowl with your main jet in the center. Remove this jet by unscrewing it and gently remove the bowl inspecting to see if there is any debris inside it. Clean the bowl and spray some carb cleaner straight up and into the hole the jet was unscrewed from.

you will also need to clean the jet thoroughly including the little hole not just the big one (see picture) A bread tie wire works well for the small hole. Once everything is clean set the machine back on it's wheels and turn the fuel on allowing fuel to run through into a drip pan for about 10 seconds.

Stand the machine back up and reassemble. This should get you going

cleaning carburetor float bowl main jet

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

are you telling me to lay the machine on its side?

and do i just unscrew the bowl?

No not on it's side, stand it up so that the part the snow enters is facing the ground and the handles are facing straight up in the air. You may have to lean it against something to hold it up.

The jet in the center of the bowl (in the picture above) will unscrew from the bowl (see picture below) It should take a 1/2 inch wrench to remove it, then the bowl will come off. The jet holds the bowl tight to the gasket and carb housing.

Carburetor float bowl with the main jet in the center

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you for your help. that did the trick. amazing how that little hole being clogged can cause such a problem.
That little hole is what supplies the engine with it's gas!