J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
13636126

I have a 700 series briggs & stratton engine. The engine has

I have a 700 series briggs & stratton engine. The engine has been getting hard to start. When the engine does start it runs fine. When it is shut down it will not restart. I have replaced the spark plug (gapped at .020"), replaced the magnatron unit, installed a new air cleaner, and thourghly cleand the carberator with carb cleaner. Inspection of the flywheel position seems to be correct. There is fresh fuel in the tank. The engine is two years old.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
Have you tried to adjust the valves?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes .004" each
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
If you put a little bit of gasoline into the carburetor will the engine start fine?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
Check all of the fuel line going to the carburetor. Make sure there are no cracks in any of the fuel lines. A fuel line can be cracked and suck air, but not leak fuel. If the fuel lines are ok then the problem may be a bad fuel pump if your engine has one. If it does not have a fuel pump then the problem is in the carburetor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The fuel line is OK. I have checked that possibility, I inspected the carburetor thourghly and made sure all the channels are clean and flowing freely. Is it possible the magnets in the flywheel are week?
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
If the magnets in the flywheel were weak then adding fuel directly to the carburetor would not help it start. I still think the problem is inside the carburetor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do you know what the compression should be for this engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
It should be around 100psi.