Doug E.
Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician
Experience:  Professional mechanic since the late 70's on Kawasaki, Arctic Cat, Jonsered, John Deere and others.

Polaris Indy xlt 580 special I have a 1993 polaris indy xlt

Customer Question

I have a 1993 polaris indy xlt special 580 snowmobile. I have a hard time starting this machine when it's cold. I have replaced the needle and seat on all 3 carb's, new fuel lines, cleaned the carb's. This machine had been sitting for 12 years. Had to clean out tank and install new fuel pickup and line. Previous owner said he had a hard time starting cold also. I got it running and 3.2 miles later one of the bearings locked up on the crank. Got that fixed and also installed new rings. Ended up with a ring gap of around .014 to .016. I doubled up on the oil by mixing the first 5 gal gas. I got it running and warmed it up and it started 6 times in a row with barley a full pull on the recoil. It just does not seem to want to start cold. The only parts that I havn't replaced are the plungers on inrichment valves on carb's. Where have I gone wrong?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Doug E. replied 3 years ago.

Doug :

Doug :

Are the choke plungers all of the way up when on full choke? Are you using the third position on the choke lever for full choke?

Doug :

Did you replace the crankshaft seals when you had the motor apart?

Customer :

They are set according to the book I have

Customer :

Yes I replaced the crank seals

Doug :

With the choke off, you should have about 1/16th of an inch of cable play at the top of each choke. When on full choke, the plungers should be all the way up into the holder.

Customer :

Do you think that the seal on the bottom of the plungers are wore out?

Doug :

If so, that would cause a fuel leakage and a rich condition while running. That wouldn't cause a hard starting problem.

Customer :

Would it have anything to do with double oil to break in the crank?

Doug :

It shouldn't. You might foul a plug or two.

Customer :

Thats what I mean. When i pull the plugs they are wet and oily.

Doug :

A cold start problem is usually caused from low compression, bad seals, choke not operating properly, or plugged passages in the carb.

Doug :

Did you soak the carbs in carb cleaner and inspect all of the passages?

Customer :

Ok if I eliminate all those suggestions and it still starts hard cold do you have any futher advice?

Customer :

And yes I cleaned the carbs throughly.

Doug :

If I had it in the shop I would check the choke adjustment, pull the carbs, inspect and check the fuel level. (If the fuel level is too low, it will start hard.) Do a compression test cold and again when hot. Do an air test to verify the condition of the seals and gaskets. Check the ignition advance using a timing light. If everything was perfect, I would install a primer. With a primer, it will always start even at sub-zero temps. I will often install primers for people who do lots of back country riding and leave their sleds out in the cold.

Customer :

OK, is there a reccommended primer kit?

Doug :

Give me a minute and I'll post a link.

Customer :

OK, Thankyou!

Doug :

This is what they look like. If you have a fitting on the carb body, they install in just a few minutes. Without the fittings, you need to drill and install the fitting into each carb so that takes longer. Any snowmobile shop should have one or you can get them online from Dennis Kirk or any online store. http://compare.ebay.com/like/350136068073?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&rvr_id=192546833722&crlp=1_263602_304662&UA=WXF%3F&GUID=428712a212d0a0b3f8f12081ff9a3f76&itemid=350136068073&ff4=263602_304662

Customer :

Thanks again.

Doug :

Let me know if you need any help installing that.

Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician
Experience: Professional mechanic since the late 70's on Kawasaki, Arctic Cat, Jonsered, John Deere and others.