Chris, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  20 years of servicing small engines of all kinds

I have a Honda HS622 snowblower. Drained gear oil and need

Customer Question

I have a Honda HS622 snowblower. Drained gear oil and need to know proper oil to reinstall. Fluid that came out was very thin. Is this gear drive or hydrostatic drive. Synthetic or off the shelf oil ok.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

Honda hydrostatic oil is used when replacement is necessary. Honda does not offer or recommend substitutions.

My opinion. Quality hydro oil will do as a replacement, not for adding, mixing oils is a bad idea. I will also provide you with a link to a manual i've found for any additional assistance you might need. Thanks...Chris

Please click on accept if you are satisfied i have answered your question. It is the only way i am compensated for my time.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX not convinced it is hydostatic drive. I already found owners manual, no reference to gearbox as hydo-drive. No reference to oil type or service interval.

Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

With a hydro system you have no gearbox, just valve body that redirects oil flow. As far as service interval i would recommend changing in the beginning and end of the season. The beginning because of condensation buildup , and the end because as oil ages it becomes acidic. If you have any more questions feel free to ask...Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This looks like a very simply machine, a gear shift with 2 forward gears and 1 reverse mounted on side of gear box, clutch is activated on handle bar. I am assuming this is not hydrostatic, what oil should I use. Call Honda?
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.
I can not believe how difficult it was to find the answer to this question. I did find the repair manual and it says It uses hydrostatic oil. I did not believe that, so i called american honda, guess what, closed till next year, so i called two other dealers in the north and it has been confirmed. Happy New Year.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your help. This has been a dificult question. Hydraulic oil does not seem like a good lubricant for this application. This information should be available to consumer and technicians. I called a Honda dealer also this morning in Indiana, he recomended 30 weight oil for gearbox. Most are hydrostatic, mine is not. No valve body ,no hydraulic oil resevoir, no variable speed lever. I just ordered a repair manual from (repair I had found a owners manual which made no mention of oil or quanity used to fill. So hopefully this will help.
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.
That is the oil recommended for your machine. My thinking for the light weight oil is because of the cold applications. Any thicker oil would not flow and just lay at the bottom of the case. In my opinion 30 weight is a bad idea...Chris
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have not received my service manual I ordered. I will share the answer and accept your answer at that time. Too many conflicting answers. I will need too see printed answere from manual to be satisfied now.
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.
Please let me know your findings.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Received manual today, HS522 HS622 transmission specifications {type gear ,lubrication oil SAE 5w30, oil capacity (2.11 US qt)}. I installed 5w30 oil today. Now confident and ready for snow.