Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have a Lincoln Ranger 8 welder with an Onan 16 model P216C-I/11421G

I have a Lincoln Ranger 8 welder with an Onan 16 model P216C-I/11421G and the battery goes dead overnight and it won't start. Put in a new battery, same problem. What are the best steps to trouble shoot or where can I get a service manual that will give me this information. Please advise, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 years ago.

Hello!
Thank you for choosing Just Answer for the solution to your problem.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am going to assist you with this.

The most likely cause of this is a shorted voltage regulator.

Have you got a good voltmeter, preferably one capable of measuring amperage?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do have a volt meter but it does not measure amps. I guess I can get one that does.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do have a volt meter but it does not measure amps. I guess I can get one that does. How do I check it?
Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 years ago.

Not critical, my friend.

Let's try it with a voltmeter first.

The voltage regulator is a small, aluminum box on the side of the engine, with 3 wires attached.

What I need you to do is to disconnect and tape the center wire (it should go straight to the battery or starter solenoid).

Set your meter to ACV.

Start the engine and run it to about 3/4 throttle.

Touch the leads of your meter to the 2 outside terminals of the VR. It should read 20-50VAC.

Now set the meter to DCV.

Touch the black lead to a good ground, and the red lead to the center terminal of the VR.

It should read 13-14 VDC.

What do you get?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The ac voltage was good, but we only got 3 volts when we checked the dc voltage. Do you think I should replace the voltage regulator?
Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 years ago.

Yes.

There are 2 diodes inside the regulator.

A diode is a one-way check valve for electricity - it will only allow electricity to flow one way, but not the other.

In a good regulator, the positive pulse of the AC sine is allowed to pass through the diode as a DC current, and goes to charge the battery.

What is happening is that one of your diodes has burned out, allowing DC voltage to flow back into the stator.

It's a good thing you caught it now, because it would have eventually melted the stator down.

Once you get the VR in, if you are still having issues, please let me know - but this should take care of it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks I will give you the rating you deserve, 10 on a 10 scale, can I request you specifically next time or is it random?
Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 years ago.

You can specifically ask for me.

You can do it through my profile, here:

http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=19372534&FID=61

But the best way is to put it is right in your question - "This question is for Hank F".

If you are satisfied with the advise and experience of Just Answer, don't forget to click on the green accept button, so I get compensated.

Also please consider leaving appropriate feedback, as this is how we are rated.

It's been a pleasure working with you.

Hank F., Technician
Experience: Certified on Onan and Generac generators