Chris
Chris, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  20 years of servicing small engines of all kinds
5111025

the blades in our craftsman snowblower are not turning as soon

the blades in our craftsman snowblower are not turning as soon as it hits high snow. We had just plowed a decent amount of snow and it had been working and then stopped. what do we do? We cleaned out the blades and shoot already
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Chris replied 3 years ago.

Chris :

Sounds like your belt is streched. Remove the cover and inspect it.

Customer :

husband is outside. Is that an easy thing to do, and what if it is stretched..then what?

Customer :

Do all models have belts...he doesnt think ours even has one

Chris :

Yes 90 percent have belts, what model do you own?

Customer :

we are finding out right now...

Chris :

okay

Customer :

craftsman XXXXXXXXX is what is on the machine

Chris :

Your model number comes up with xxxxxxxx try again but space the numbers out

Customer :

1 min -going back out to machine

Chris :

Or you could post a pic

Customer :

modelNNN-NN-NNNNis what it says.

Chris :

great give mo one moment

Chris :

Here is the link to the parts list of the blower. I highly reccomend replacing both belts at the same time. http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Craftsman-Parts/Snow-removal-equipment-Parts/Model-536881850/0247/1507200/P0507015/00002?blt=06&prst=&shdMod=

Customer :

does that mean there is no way to get it working today? on our own

Chris :

Fyi. You do not have to go to sears, any lawn mower shop or even a napa can provide you with one. Tell him to remove the cover and inspect the belt.Make sure it is on the pulleys, you could get lucky. Once they stretch there is not much you can do.

Customer :

the cover just screws off? Also, are you saying that maybe the belt just slipped off the pulley?

Chris :

The cover comes off very easily. Just a couple screws. I would not get my hopes up but it does happen.

Customer :

1 min....going to give husband the info. and see if there are any more quest. on the issue.

Chris :

no problem

Customer :

having a hard time figuring out what 'cover' you mean and how to get it off. can you guide us for two minutes...

Chris :

No problem ill find you some pics

Customer :

i am on the craftsman site with the diagram-not helpful.

Chris :

The belts attach to the engine on the opposite side of the pull rope. I'm still looking for a better diagram

Customer :

thank you we will try...

Customer :

belt was off!!!!! how do we get it back on???

Chris :

LUCKY!!! You should be able to just pry it back on fairly easily. If it comes off again its because the belt is stretched.

Customer :

not going on so easily....i guess thats good. Right? any hints as to how to get it back on?

Chris :

You are fighting against a spring. make sure it is on the lower pulley first than slowly spin the engine over to walk the belt back on the upper pully. Try not to pinch your fingers and swear alot. That works for me

Customer :

thank you we are in middle of a blizzard . you were very helpful!

Chris, Small Engine Technician
Experience: 20 years of servicing small engines of all kinds