Chris
Chris, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  20 years of servicing small engines of all kinds
5111025

my polaris indy 500 starts to bog out at half throtle have

my polaris indy 500 starts to bog out at half throtle have carbs set at 1.5 turns out each what could be the problem
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Chris replied 3 years ago.

Chris :

What were the events leading up to this problem? Recent fuel up etc. What do the plugs look like?

Customer :

brand new plugs when i started it this year it has been doing this

Customer :

plugs are dark brown on tip

Chris :

Has the sled been sitting for any length of time

Customer :

no was stored in garage and had fuel drained before storage has great compression good spark been building sleds for years and this is the first time carb cleaning didnt fix the problem

Chris :

When you cleaned the carbs did you remove the jets and probe them? Have you inspected the intake and exhaust for critter nests

Chris :

Any difference with the choke on

Customer :

yes everything looks good when choke on cant even get it to rev up when its warmed up i cleaned every port in carb and everything looks good

Customer :

what is starting setting for jet

Chris :

NEEDLE #3 eclip position
300 main jet
40 pilot
air screw should be 1.5-2 turns out

Chris :

It was running fine when parked? Any mods?

Customer :

thats what everything is set at only mod is breather box not on yet because of bogging problem put it on at first still doing it so took it off to adjust stuff if it bogs should i try leaning out air screw

Customer :

ran fine last year

Chris :

At this point you are going to have to rev it to the point it runs poorly and partialy cover the air box to determine weather it is a rich or lean condition.

Chris :

Thats it. if you modify any part of the intake or exhaust jetting changes must be made. By moding the intake you allowed air to enter with less resistance and changed the mixture.

Customer :

did that to when you let it bog it keeps running but as soon as i release gas it stalls even with breather box on does the same

Chris :

It must either run better with the airbox partialy covered or worse.

Chris :

The plugs are new but are they dry or wet

Customer :

just did cover box a bit could only get .25 throtle before bog plugs get wet when let bog till stall

Chris :

That tells us its overfueling. Turn the fuel to the off position and try again, minus the airbox covering. As the bowl begin to empty the problem should clear out

Customer :

should i turn air screw in quarter turn in at a time until get good rev or is out adding more air

Chris :

The screws only effect anything under 1/4 throttle

Customer :

when i turn off gas as bowl emptied it started to rev all the way but fuel emptyed fast and died so how do i stop overfueling

Chris :

Inspect the float valves. They shut the flow of fuel off.

Chris :

Think twice before doing that airbox mod

Customer :

floats move freely even cleaned shaft they ride on needle seats perfect i dont plan on doing airbox mod just off until i get good running so i can get at stuff easy

Chris :

Valves and seats wear over time. Your best bet is to just replace them both before they become an issue. That is your issue, easy fix, unless you have a float with a hole in it

Customer :

so you think i should put a new carb kit in it because i bought a new carb kit when i did cleaning and problem still the same

Chris :

While you have it apart, if you have the kit, it only makes sense to install it

Customer :

it is all new inside i replaced everything yesterday and i still have same problem i had before put new kit in

Chris :

Did the kit include a needle and seat?

Customer :

yes

Chris :

They usually dont

Chris :

Are you sure the seats are properly seated? One of your carbs is overfueling, you should be able to tell witch one by the spark plug.

Customer :

thanks for your time

Chris :

Thank you. Please click accept, it is the only way i am compensated for my time. Have a good holiday

Chris, Small Engine Technician
Experience: 20 years of servicing small engines of all kinds