Benjy
Benjy, Technician
Experience:  10+ Years Experience Factory Trained John Deere, Husqvarna, Hustler, Exmark, Kawasaki, Kohler,
20629389

hello my name is Dan, I have a 1990 excel/hustler 340 riding

Customer Question

hello my name isXXXXX have a 1990 excel/hustler 340 riding lawn mower, it has a V1200-B 4 cyl diesel. here is my problem I drained the water out of the radiator by pulling the bottom hose. this mower has been sitting the a month and a half, tempertures got down in the 20's some times. I needed to move the mower and started to put water in the radiator and then started the diesel and I alway watch my gauges, i watch as the oil pressure started to come up, so i took my eye off the panel and notice the oil light on the panel was flickering.
i turned off the diesel to check again, when I pulled the dip stick, oil and water started to shoot out. Here is my question could it be head gasket, cracked head, timing cover. I drained the oil, before doing any thing. I unplugged the drain pan started to fill water and water started to come out the drain, so i put new oil in( no water) and a motor flush in it. Started the diesel and watched the pressures, the oil came up to 50 psi, ran the motor for a few minutes, no leaks, and i did pressure wash the motor before checking for leaks, need your advise
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Benjy replied 3 years ago.

Bad news. It is likely a cracked block. It is very important if running non antifreeze coolant previous to freezing temperatures that the plugs on the block be removed. The lower radiator hose will ONLY drain that part of the engine that sits above the approximate centerline of the water pump. This leaves the entire water jacket of the engine full of water. You can diagnose by removing the oil pan and again adding water to the system to see exactly where it is coming from, it MAY be repairable. If it is not into the cylinder bore and you can access the entire crack careful cleaning and application of epoxy CAN fix this. It likely be necessary to completely dissasemble the engine in order to get good access to the crack to clean and apply the epoxy. Generally the amount of water your describing is a cracked block. Heads and head gaskets tend to be MUCH slower leaks, and often only leak under pressure.

Why do you not run an antifreeze/coolant? These systems don't hold much and the cooling performance is boosted by the antifreeze.