Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines

my honda eu1000i generator (5 yrs old, about 40+hrs)will not

my honda eu1000i generator (5 yrs old, about 40+hrs)will not start, oil ok, new plug, gas in it, worked yesterday then could not start it. Took plug out in the dark and do not see a spark, gas is fresh
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jon K. replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you find the answer you need to resolve your problem.

On the opposite side of the engine from the filler hole for your oil you should see a sensor with one wire coming out of it. This is your low oil sensor. Unplug this wire and see if it starts. These often go bad making the engine think there is not enough oil in the case and stopping the spark. Also when testing for spark make sure that the threaded portion of the spark plug is grounded to the block of the engine.

#4 is the part I am talking about

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my problem now is the the four screws on the bottom holding the case are frozen(two on each side), i sprayed some wd 40 to see if it helps, so i"m stuck right now
Expert:  Jon K. replied 5 years ago.

WD-40 usually does not help much, it works as a decent lubricant but not a penetrating oil (like PB blaster) which is what you need. You may have to drill out these two screws if they are preventing you at getting to the low oil switch,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

wd 40 is all I had and didn't really think it would help, i will start drilling if I have to, thanks. If it does not start after unplugging the sensor, what would be next?

Expert:  Jon K. replied 5 years ago.

We will need to get into the engine if this doesn't help. Make sure that after you unplug the sensor that you check for spark. if you have spark then we will look at the fuel delivery of the machine, if not then we will need to find out why you have no spark.

I'm betting that this helps you out though as it is a very common problem.