Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers

I have a stihl 041 chainsaw how do you set timing and point

I have a stihl 041 chainsaw how do you set timing and point gap
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 5 years ago.

Vince O. :

Hello,do you have spark?

Customer :

when i first started working on the saw i did it started and ran for almost a minute then died when i check the spark it was inconsistant and after i pulled the flywheel and found out it had points i cleaned them by running a piece of paper between the contacts they were not that dirty but now i dont have any spark

Vince O. :

The cam is built in on the flywheel and flywheel must be installed to set point gap.Remove the plug so it turns easier and rotate the flywheel until the point gap is at the widest opening then check your setting through one of the openings on the flywheel.Set gap at 0.016 and check for spark. If still no sparkthe coil or condensor or both might be bad.I don't think any of those parts are available is a link where you will find some parts if needed.