Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines

I have a John Deere 185 Hydro with little to no spark and will

I have a John Deere 185 Hydro with little to no spark and will not start. I am getting fuel. I looked at the ignition coil and wire and has 1989 stamped on the coil. The tractor is is a 1990. Should I try a coil and wire first and try an igniter.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jon K. replied 5 years ago.
Do not replace your coil just yet. Instead look at the coil and find the small black wire that is attached to it. This is your kill circuit wire. Remove this wire and check it for spark. If you have spark then your coil is good and you most likely have a bad safety switch. If you do not have spark then you have a bad ignition coil and it will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The coil and spark plug wire are one peice. Do you mean to check spark at the single black wire that plugs into the coil?
Expert:  Jon K. replied 5 years ago.
Yes the spark plug wire should be attached to the coil. The small black wire can be unplugged from the coil though. Unplug this little wire and check for spark at the spark plug. Make sure you do not hold it bare or it will give you a big shock. Hold it with a pair of insulated pliers with the threaded portion of the spark plug touching a bare metal part of the engine