Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators

how do you do the wiring for a starter solenoid

Thank you for choosing Just Answer for the solution to your problem.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am going to assist you with this.

The solenoid will have 2 large posts on it, and one of them should be copper colored.

The positive battery cable will go to the copper colored post, and the starter cable to the other large post. It will be a large red wire.

There will be either 1 or 2 small tabs.

If only 1 tab, the wire from the ignition switch will go to this tab. It will be a purple wire.

If 2 tabs, the wire from the ignition switch will go to 1 tab, and a ground wire will go to the other tab. The wire from the switch will be purple, and the ground wire will be black.

There should also be another smaller wire, either red or orange, with an eyelet on it. This wire will also go to the large battery connection post.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
both solenoids are copper colored

Then it really does not matter which cable goes to which post.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
does the red wire with the eyelet go on the same post as large red battery cable

Yes, it does,

I apologize, I should have explained a little better.

The battery sends power to the solenoid via the battery cable.

The small red wire with the eyelet is the wire that carries the voltage to the start switch.

The purple wire is the wire that carries the voltage to the solenoid when the key is turned to crank or start. If the solenoid is marked, the purple wire will go to the tab marked 'S'.

The black wire is the ground for the solenoid, if a 2 wire solenoid. It will go to the tab marked 'I'.

If there is only one small tab, it is a self-grounding solenoid.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you, XXXXX XXXXX it explain it well...we got it to run now...but it will not move forward or backward...we took off the back wheel to get to the solinoid before hand...could we have messed up something?

No, you simply overlooked a crucial component.

When you took the wheel off, if you noticed, the axle and the wheel both have a small square slot milled in them.

There is a small square piece of metal, called a key, that must be inserted into those slots to lock the wheel to the axle. Without that key, the axle will simply spin inside the wheel.

This key is about 1/8" square, and is usually about an inch long.

Pull the wheel back off, find the key (hopefully it is laying on the ground directly under the axle), and put it in the slot - being very careful not to dislodge it when you put the wheel back on.

Did you get it going?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes, Thank you very much, you were a big help. Have a nice day

Good deal!

I just did not want to leave you hanging.

This sure beats hauling it in to a shop, doesn't it?