Chris, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  20 years of servicing small engines of all kinds

Snow thrower electric start spins but does not engage engi

Snow thrower electric start spins but does not engage engine

Chris :

It sounds like your bendix is either broken or sticking. since it is a snowblower im guessing it is more than likley just sticking. Remove the starter and make sure everything around the gear moves freely

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OK. I've removed the starter. I assume the bendix is the part of the starter that protrudes, and has a toothed gear on the end that meshes with the like teeth on the engine gear. Correct?

If so, it is rusty and the teeth are broken. I assume this is the problem.

There is a plastic cap on the end of the bendix which if I can get it off, I guess I'll be able to replace the bendix itself?? It doesn't seem to want come off easily. Will a new one come with the new bendix (I may breae the plastic cap getting it off) Or do I need to replace the whole starter?

Also seems odd that the teeth/gear is rusty. Shouldn't these be covered with grease??

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there anybody there?

I was just looking for a pic for you, couldn't find one good one. The bendix disengages the starter after the engine is running. You can just replace the bendix, providing you can get it off. There should be grease on the inside of the toothed gear. Over time grease does dry up, snowblowers spend allot of time sitting, depending on where you live, maybe years.

The bendix itself is about 20 dollars. A new starter will be a ready to use bolt on deal.

If you provide me with the info off of your engine i would be glad to look up those parts for you and give you some options.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks Chris.

It's a Tecumseh 8.5HP -- Here's all the numbers:

Model: LH318SA

Spec: 156571H

Dom: 04189CH0812

Engine Family: 4TPXS.3182BF

Displacement: 318cc

About the plastic cap. OK if it breaks getting it off?

Today is your lucky day. I found you a video

Edited by Chris on 11/7/2010 at 7:34 PM EST
If you have any more questions or problems let me know
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks - I had to step away

You've been quite helpful