Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

1991 club car golf cart. Wont run, have spark to plug, changed

Customer Question

1991 club car golf cart. Won't run, have spark to plug, changed fuel pump and filter, plus fuel lines. will start if i pour gas in plug hole but won't continue. Took carb. off and float and needle valve appear to be working fine.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.

curtis b :

With fuel and spark and will run when you pour gas in spark plug hole makes it a carburator problem or the fuel pump is not putting any gas into the carburator. Have you checked the output of the fuel pump?

curtis b :

You probably have the pulse pump which uses the pulses from the crankcase to pump the fuel. It has to have a good, open line into the crankcase to work.

Customer :

No I haven't. I just assumed, since I put on a new fuel pump it would perform correctly.

curtis b :

Do you have the pulse pump, with three hoses, two fuel lines and on going to the crankcase?

Customer :

Yes, that is correct!

curtis b :

Check the line going to the crankcase, be sure it is open to the engine side.

Customer :

10_4 will do that! I have checked it and it is free, I reconnected it and gently blew through it and air came back out through the air cleaner side of the carberator.

curtis b :

With engine cranking, does it put out any gas if you remove the line to the carb?

Customer :

yes it does, quite a bit!

curtis b :

IF THAT ALL IS WELL, THE PROBLEM HAS TO BE A STOPPED UP JET IN THE CARB. REMOVE IT AND DO A THROUGH CLEANING, RUNNING A WIRE THROUGH EACH JET TO BE SURE IT IS OPEN.

Customer :

Ten-Four Thank you very much! I was about to push it off into the River!

Curtis B., Technician
Experience: have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
Good job!! Thanks for feed back!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Curtis

I took the carberator off and cleaned all needle valves and ports, replaced it and still won't run or fire.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
This should be the single cylinder, 4cycle, flat head engine?? You said it would run if you put fuel in the cylinder?? If so, it has to be the carburetor not getting gas into the cylinder. If it won't fire at all, it could be out of time or the valves might be stuck open. But if it will fire with fuel in the cylinder, it has to be carburetter related. The gaskets are all ok, that mounts the carb to block?
Curtis B., Technician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The gaskets seem to be O.K. I guess a carberator kit is my next option?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
Either rebuild kit or different carb.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have ordered another carberator, most likely won't bere for a week or so. Thanks

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
Let me know how it turns out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
O.K.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
Have a great day!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Curtis,

Nov. 1 I recieved a new carberator today, put it on , it runs like a champ!!! Thanks!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
Good job!! Thanks.