PK.
PK., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Retired Owner of a full service shop and national parts sales website.
12056261

poulan 2075 chain saw. bogs down and stops when warmed up

poulan 2075 chain saw.

bogs down and stops when warmed up why?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  PK. replied 6 years ago.
Hi, how old is this saw? How long did it sit up with fuel in it? When you say it bogs down, is this when you attempt to throttle it up it just falls on its face or can you sort of feather the throttle and get it to speed up? Thanks, PK.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
15 years old no fuel on it when stored.

worked fine for 20 min or so then died at high speed or under load.

now it staets but as nsoon as I throttle it it dies.. restatrs after sitting for 5 min then dies agin on throttle
Expert:  PK. replied 6 years ago.
Okay, well you have several things that will need to be checked first.

Yours may or may not have a spark arrestor screen on or in the muffler, that needs to be clean.

I would want to know the compression before going further, so if you have a compression gauge, check that and look for 100psi or more.

Replacement of the spark plug and cleaning the air filter are also something that should be done just to give you the best possible circumstances for the engine to run.

You may also have a fuel delivery problem. In the tank is a fuel filter, it could be clogged or you could have a fuel line that's leaking a little. Also, within the carburetor is a diaphragm that acts as the fuel pump, this could be worn or the carburetor itself may be in need of rebuild/replacement.

On the less likely list of problems would be a bad crankcase seal.

Probably this is a fuel delivery problem but you should start at the beginning and work though as I listed. The reason for this is you could have more than one problem existing, and it's just good maintenance on a two-stroke.

When it was running at high speed, did it seem to run a little too high or maybe not have enough power?