J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.

have a model 302431 briggs and am getting weak to no fire,

have a model 302431 briggs and am getting weak to no fire, I have put in new points and gaped them .020 cleaned and wiped with crd and made sure no lint, have installed a new coil with the side facing out as marked with a .010 airgap, have checked the juntion with ohm meter where coil ,kill,point wire juntion no short,even recoated wiring with liquid electrical tape, still the motor spark is the same can hold the sparkplug wire will turning motor over with starter and get just small shock not even enough to make you turn loose. this was the problem when I started and have thrown a whole new ignition in it and still the smae. Also the magnet on flywheel seems strong also cleaned when installed new coil.Have called were I bought the coil and they confirmed right no. for that motor
The points normally have a resin on them to keep the from rusting. I would try sand them down a little and the nreset the gap and check for spark again. Let me know and we will continue. Let me know the model and spec number off of the engine as well as the part number of the coil.