J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.

I have a John Deere GT235 Lawn Tractor and it will not start.

I have a John Deere GT235 Lawn Tractor and it will not start. I cranked and cranked, played with the throttle and choke, it started for a minute, then died and no life since. The fuel pump is working and the plugs are getting a spark. Was working fine before this last attempt to mow.
Take the air filter off of it. Put a little bit of gas down into the intake and then try to start it. Let me know what it does.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No go.

First symptom of this ordeal was that the pto wasn't coming up to full speed. I couldn't hear the normal roar of the blades so I knew something was up. I cleaned under the deck and parked it. Next day I set out to mow thinking the cleaning fixed it and no starting.

Ok, it sounds like an ignition problem. Take the sparkplug out of it and attach it back onto the wire.Touch the electrode end of the plug to clean metal. Have someone set on it and crank it over while you watch for spark.If you have no spark, then you likely have a bad ignition module.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It sparks, I have checked it a couple of times
Have you checked the compression of the engine? It should fire up on gas in the intake if it has good spark.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
have not checked compression,
I would get a compression gage and do a compression test to see what it is.