Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.

I have a Toro Snow Blower Model: 38516 CCR 2450E...Serial

I have a Toro Snow Blower Model: 38516 CCR 2450E...Serial # XXXXX The electric starter motor won't engage the flywheel. I have the starter motor out of the unit and it seems that the drive shaft comes right out, starter gear assembly and all. I opened up the motor to investigate and was surprised to find that the spindle doesn't connect directly to the motor shaft (offset). And it seems that the drive shaft was only press fitted into the offset gear. I tried reassembling the motor and tapping the shaft back into the gear and it seemed to grab, however it wouldn't take the load of trying to turn the flywheel. It just came right out again. Am I missing something or was this really the design of this starter motor. The starter motor is labeled Toro #801114. What's up???

Well it is difficult to discuss the particulars on this starter because we as dealers are instructed not to try to repair them. WE are just supposed to replace the entire starter.

I realize that this is not what you want to hear...especially since these starters are not cheap.

Here is the parts list.

309 Diagram: 38516%2C+CCR+2450+GTS+Snowthrower%2C+2006+%28SN+260010001-260999999%29 FLYWHEEL, BLOWER HOUSING, AND STARTER ASSEMBLIES BRIGGS AND STRATTON(NNN) NNN-NNNNE1 BRP Briggs and Stratton 801410 (replaces 801247)
Your price: $132.68
0 of these in your cart

Feel free to contact me here at this question anytime ...even after you hit the "ACCEPT" button ...and I will try to help further.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX you taking the time to respond to my query.

No offense though, but you haven't been much help at all!

I already had the parts list and schematics.

What I want to know is if this starter motor (and any replacement that I happen toshell out cash for) was designed with the drive spindle simply press fitted into its driver gear.

Because if that's the case then I have no intention of replacing it with a starter motor that's designed to fail sometime in the future.

So unless you can answer my question, I'm certainly not going to "Accept your answer".

There is no other starter that will fit this unit. I understand your concern, but there is no better answer. These starters are NOT designed to be repaired. They are designed to be replaced if there is any failure. I cannot tell you if it was designed to be pressed in or not because they have never told the dealers. In fact we are instructed NOT to disassemble these starters. The only thing that is reparable at all is the starter gear assembly as seen in the parts list. I have done my best to try to help you, but what you are asking is NOT possible to answer. You have taken this thing apart farther than I have...because we are not supposed to disassemble it. There would be no reason for us to disassemble the starter since we cannot fix it even if we did.

I understand your frustration at this, but please keep in mind that it is not my fault that the answer is not what you want to hear.

Please don't shoot the messenger.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Here is what I've found out by talking to Toro 'customer care'.

There have been no recalls associated with the snowblower.

That's just about how helpful they're going to be, apparently.

They also could not ease my concerns about purchasing another starter and having it crap out after a few years. And they were also no help with finding replacement parts for the motor unit, even though it would bound to be much less costly to just replace the starter gear shaft. She deferred any issues regarding replacing or repairing the starter motor to the authorized repair technicians.

I assume that the responders at this site are 'authorized' so I guess that brings me right back to you.

The questions that I want answered are:
Why can't I find the replacement parts I need for this starter and if I do purchase a replacement is that unit going to be designed the same way?
That's all I'm asking. If you can't answer or put me in touch with someone who can, then as I'm concerned you really haven't been any help at all.

I'm sorry but that's the extent of it as far as I can see.

As you have found out by talking to Toro, there are NO Answers to your questions that will ease your mind. We have not had a lot of problems with these starters. You may have just gotten one that failed.

1. You cannot get parts for this starter because they do not make or offer any replacement parts for them. The only offer the starter gear assembly or a complete starter assembly. This is going to be the norm for most equipment manufacturers for years to come.

2. We cannot give you information that we do not have. I have been a very large TORO dealer for almost 30 years and would give you the help you want if it were available.

3. There is no way to assure you that the next starter will do better than the first one, but if I were guessing I would probably guess that you wouldn't have the same problem with two starters in a row. We just do not have many problems with them.

4. My job here at JA is to give the customer the best possible answer to a question based on my vast knowledge and experience. I cannot guarantee that the answer that I give is the answer that the customer wants to hear. In fact a large number of the answers given here at this site are just the opposite of what the customer wants to hear. Just because the answer you get is not the result that you want does not mean that my answer is wrong. It's just like asking a parent something and sometimes they have to say NO. The answer cannot always be YES.

I have spent a great deal of time trying to help you with this question and feel that I have done my job well, it just isn't the result that you wanted. That happens.

Your answer, in a nutshell is: if you want this unit to operate properly with the electric start, yo will have to buy a new starter....or find a used starter at a dealership that has junked one of these snowthrowers and kept the engine or can keep checking E-bay for one and buy it there. If it lasts a long time....great....if not, then that is the risk that you will have to take. There is no other matter how many times you rephrase the question ,....or ask for more information......

I really hope that you can understand this. I am trying to help. and have been very patient trying to help.

There is no other answer...

So I have done my job well and provided all of the available information.

It is now up to you as to what you do.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks once again for taking the time to respond to my situation. Sorry if I seemed to vent my frustration regarding not being able to repair the starter unit. It's just that it most certainly would have saved me some money.

Anyhow, I did find a dealer on ebay (Chicago Lawnmower, Inc.) that sold the unit for $80 plus shipping ($10). I'll hang onto the other motor & starter assembly in case this one needs parts in the future.

Thanks again!

Good luck and thanks.