J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
13636126

John deere L100 with a Briggs & Stratton 17 hp Intek motor.

John deere L100 with a Briggs & Stratton 17 hp Intek motor. Starts and runs in choke position when moved to operating speed motor chokes out. When running in choke position runs for less than 25 seconds then shuts off. New air filter and gas filter was installed first of this month. Has been running fine since, shutdown was normal when last used. ???
The problem sounds like a plugged up jet in the carburetor. The carburetor will need to be taken completely apart and cleaned. Use some carb cleaner and a small wire to run through all of the holes in the jets. It is best to purchase a complete rebuild kit for the carburetor when you do this.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You were right about the dirt, but it wasn't in the jets of the carburator. The gas cap vent had gotten dirt in it. After further troubleshooting I found the dirt. Something you may want to reference the next time someone has the same problem I had. Thank you.
Thank you.