Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a John Deere lawn tractor L120. I have a fuel problem

Customer Question

I have a John Deere lawn tractor L120. I have a fuel problem ,the tractor starts after sitting a while . but then i look at the fuel filter and there no gas in it when before there was. I replaced the fuel filter and the fuel pump. Same problem! It appears it runs on vacuam from the valve cover... Any ideas ?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.

The problem may be a bad gas cap. Try to run it with the gas cap loosened up or off. If it still does it inspect the fuel lines and replace them if they have any cracking.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
curtis b :

The filter will never show to be full when engine is running. The fuel pump is a pulse pump and the line from the valve cover is the sensing line that actualy does the pumping. It is not vacuum. The only way to check pump is remove the line at the carburator and crank engine over to see if it is pumping. You say the unit will not start after it has sat awhile? After it starts does it run ok?