Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines

Ive got a Briggs-Stratton 500 series 158cc mower engine that

I've got a Briggs-Stratton 500 series 158cc mower engine that I can't get to stay running. It will fire right up with priming but dies about 1.5 seconds after it starts. The more I prime the longer it runs which leads me to believe that fuel is not getting where it needs to. How can I fix this?

You are going to need to clean and rebuild your carburetor. Fuel is not traveling through it like it is supposed to.

Can I get the numbers off you engine, and I will get you a link to this procedure or detailed instructions on how to do it. Please see the link below for what I am looking for.

Engine numbers

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Engine # XXXXX XXXXX 0457 B1 10021555

That is,...if I found the right imprint.

You did, and you have a very easy carb to work on. I am enclosing two links. One for the removal of your carb, one for cleaning and reassembly. You will need a new gasket and diaphragm for the installation or all of this will be for nothing. The part number is XXXXX&S 495770 It should only cost you around $5.

Carb removal

Carb rebuilding