Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers
32407143

Replaced fuel lines on my Poulan Pro PP3516AVX 35cc chainsaw.

Replaced fuel lines on my Poulan Pro PP3516AVX 35cc chainsaw. Do not know if I have lines routed correctly. Old ones just fell apart. If you are standing at trigger end of saw: I ran short piece of line from primer bulb to left side of carb (port is at top) and another line from primer to big hole in tank for vent (on right). Ran smaller line through small hole on left side of tank to right side of carb (port is at bottom) and connected fuel filter to small line inside tank. Is this correct?
I have also changed spark plug, primer bulb, fuel filter and new gas.

I did get it to start once when I had the small line with fuel filter hooked to primer bulb by mistake and line from right side of carb going to vent. It would only run with choke on and cut off when you pulled trigger.

HELP, I have worked on this SOB for 3 days and it will not run.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 3 years ago.
Hello,you have the lines hooked up to the carb and tank correctly but it is possible to connect the wrong way on the primer.The primer has 2 nipples,one long and one short.The longer nipple is the tank return and the shorter one goes to the left side of carb,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That's the way I have it hooked up.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 3 years ago.

Did you take carb apart at all?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Only the air filter to be able to get to fuel lines.

Saw is only two years old. Used it on Tuesday and it ran great. Would not start on Wednesday. That's when I discovered fuel line issue. Been working on it ever since. Have replaced fuel lines twice.

Expert:  Vince O. replied 3 years ago.
Remove side of carb where small line enters,usually one screw in the center.There is a screen inside that filters the fuel and it is probably clogged with dirt and old rotted fuel line and not allowing fuel through.Take note of how things are routed and linkage first,especially the yellow and black wires so they don't get pinched during reassembly.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will go hook up a spotlight and see what I can do.

Yellow and black wires are on the left and linkage is on the right of carb if I am remembering correctly.

Will I be working on the left or right side of carb if standing at handle end of saw?

Expert:  Vince O. replied 3 years ago.

You have to remove the carb.remove the two nuts and the t-25 head screw,squeeze throttle and hold the shaft (where cable connects to carb) and lift off filter cover and disconnect the cable-do not force or it will break the "z"bend off .Remove the primer line on left of carb and pull carb off of studs.Crimp thin fuel line with hemos and remove carb cover to clean and inspect.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Poulan-Parts/Chainsaw-Parts/Model-PP3516AVX/1324/1503220/P1003094/00002?pop=true&blt=06&prst=&shdMod=

Expert:  Vince O. replied 3 years ago.
Worst scenario,a new carb costs approx 26.00
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can't do any more tonight. Too dark to see and It's already a chore with my eyes. I will have to try in the morning. How will I respond back to you? This my first attempt at JustAnswer.

Are instructions available for disassembly of this carb?

Expert:  Vince O. replied 3 years ago.
The only instructions are the ones I have tried to describe.Just respond to this question and it will send an alert.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One screw was on a plate on the bottom of carb. I removed it and found a little screen that was very grey.

What should I use to clean the screen?

Expert:  Vince O. replied 3 years ago.

Spray carb cleaner to clean out.The screen is grey.Was there any debris in it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No real debris. Just a little thick grey dust like stuff. I cleaned it off easy with a Q-tip. Carb was really clean. I put it back on and tried it, same result. Will not even try to start. I will clean it again with carb cleaner in the morning.

I did notice it sounded as if it was sucking air when I released the primer bulb. I know it should when you push it in because it pushes air into tank but not when it releases. Am I correct? Is that where my problem is?

I know I will never ever own another POULAN!!!!

Expert:  Vince O. replied 3 years ago.
Try this,put a few drops of gas in carb and see if it starts.If it does then you still have a fuel problem.If it doesn't then remove the plug and check for spark then look inside cylinder to check for any signs of scoring.Saw should have 120 psi compression
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried a little gas earlier today and it would not start. That was before new plug and changing lines the second time.

Should I try switching lines back where the fuel supply goes to primer bulb and let it run with choke on? If it runs, would that mean I have a fuel inlet problem?

Expert:  Vince O. replied 3 years ago.

I'd leave fuel lines alone.Did you see a spark and check for scoring?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This morning: Checked for scoring, looked fine. While checking for spark, engine tried to fire. Connected plug wire and saw started without choke or priming. Ran for about 20 seconds. Restarted with choke and it ran ok (but fast) at half choke but when you engage trigger it bogs down and cuts off. Now what?

Expert:  Vince O. replied 3 years ago.
Now the carb needs adjusted.The low speed screw (closest to the motor) needs opened up a hair.This may be a chore also because a special tool is needed unless you have a dremmel tool and can cut a slot in the screws to use a small pocket screwdriver .Start the saw and open the low speed screw(closest to the engine) so it will run without the choke on.Squeeze the trigger and if it hesitates or wants to stall open low speed a hair more.Run on high speed and fine tune adjustment,after it runs good open high speed screw a hair so it doesn't run too lean
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have it running without doing any adjustments yet. It bogs a little at first, runs ok at half throttle but wants to bog down at full throttle.

Is the low speed screw the same as the one in the book refering to Idle Speed-T?

Is their a high speed adjustment? Where is it located?

Can you buy the special tool for making adjustments? I am already this deep in this project, I may as well buy more stuff.

Oh, by the way, I have not had to use primer bulb at all. Is this normal?

Expert:  Vince O. replied 3 years ago.

No,the idle speed is by itself and has a Phillips head.The adjustment screws are side by side and are splined requiring a special adjustment tool or modification.If you didn't need to use the primer the saw may have been flooded with excess fuel in the crankcase.I'm looking for the link for the tool .

http://www.americanpoems.com/B000P8GKO2/Genuine_Poulan_Weedeater_Part__530035560.php

Edited by Vince O. on 9/4/2010 at 2:47 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Let me know when you find the link for tool.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 3 years ago.
I added link to response above.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I ordered screwdriver. Shame you have to pay almost as much for shipping as you do for the part. I guess it will come next week. I will let you know what happens.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 3 years ago.
OK
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Vince,

I worked with the idle screw a little without much luck. Saw wants only to run on half choke. I can play with throttle and get it running at half speed but it will not run at full throttle, it boggs down and cuts off. Finally got it to idle after an hour. I guess I will have to wait until screwdriver arrives and see what I can do unless you have any other suggestions. I will contact you next week.

Thanks,

Mr. Mike

Expert:  Vince O. replied 3 years ago.

Open the high speed screw a hair if possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This saw is the biggest piece of SH** I have ever owned!!

It ran bad yesterday but at least it started. Today it will not start at all.

More new gas & oil (with a new can), another new plug & filter.

Cleaned carburetor again. Nothing works!

About ready to give up. My arm is about ready to fall off.

I will not touch it again until special screwdriver arrives.

Which screw should I open up first to get it to start?

Should I just give up and order new carburetor? I am kind of on a mission now to get it running. Too much time and money invested to quit.

Expert:  Vince O. replied 3 years ago.
One more thing,did you inspect the black rubber boot for cracks or tears?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Boot looks good but so do all components. Looks almost new. Have only used the saw 5 or 6 times.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 3 years ago.
I know what you mean,I have replaced lots of carburetors and most looked new.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Vince,

Got screwdriver. Opened up both screws ( to the left) one and a half turns and engine finally fired. Ran for about a minute with more smoke than normal and cut off. Will not start back. Now what????

Expert:  Vince O. replied 3 years ago.
Reset carb ,turn both screws in and open 2 1/4 turns each.You have fresh fuel right?.Don't worry about smoke,there might be some fuel in the muffler and it will clear up once it runs a while.Remove plug and see if very wet.Put switch in off position and with plug removed turn so plug hole is down and pull rope to see if it is flooded.The carb could be bad too as mentioned above.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience: Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well, I got it running earlier today before I received your latest e-mail. It does not run well but at least it's running. Able to do some important cutting. Still cuts off at idle speed but high speed runs better. I will reset carb tomorrow and see what happens. Everything is new except carb.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 3 years ago.
Turn the idle screw in until it stays running and fine tune it.If chain turns back off until it stops moving.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will try when I get back. Got to go out of town tomorrow.

Should be back Thursday. Thanks for your patience.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 3 years ago.

That's what I'm here for.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well Vince,

It starts, it runs. Not as well as it should but I guess I will have to live with it. Only thing left to do is maybe replace carb. I will give it a while and see how it does. Thanks for all your help and patience. I will go back to your e-mail and accept answer.