Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.

I have a 2500 Troy Bilt pressure washer. Suddenly, the pump

I have a 2500 Troy Bilt pressure washer. Suddenly, the pump seems not to kick in. What can I do. Water flows through easily but there is no pressure.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Ranwell1 :

Most of the time when this occurs you have to replace the entire pump.

These are very inexpensively built pumps and usually will cost more to repair them that replacing them.

What usually happens is that customers tend to put the pumps away without using the pump conditioner liquid in them. The causes the pump to corrode inside and the result is that the pressure relief valve inside the pump gets pitted and won't close. Also the corrosion causes other parts inside to not mesh together correctly.

Here is a website that has the pumpsaver conditioner that must be used before storage. Also, some of the time you can add this pump conditioner to the pump that doesn't work and it will loosed the valve and other corroded parts inside the pump. this only works about 20% of the time, but it might be worth a try. It would also just be a temoprary fix because once the pump gets corrosion inside it, it usually is on it's last legs.

If this pumpsaver additive is added correctly before storage, you cab usually prevent the problems you are having.

As much as I hate to give this kind of answer, it is usually the correct answer. Buy a new pump. You probably can get the new pump assembly at one of two places. Any good MTD parts dealer.or They are an online parts supplier.

In many cased it might be best to just replace the entire pressure washer.

Wish I had a better answer.

Feel free to contact me here at this question anytime ...even after you hit the "ACCEPT" button ...and I will try to help further.

Please click "ACCEPT" or I won't get paid.

You may also consider sending a bonus if I have been helpful, Please leave POSITIVE feedback for me as this is how I'm rated. Remember, a neutral is nearly as bad as a negative. If not satisfied, contact me and I will make it right. Thanks

Ranwell1 :

Did you get the message I sent? The system seems to be haveing a problems.