Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers

Poulan chain saw model 2155. wont idle and wont run the chain.

Poulan chain saw model 2155. won't idle and won't run the chain. Have changed the spark plug and cleaned the air filter and spark arrester screen but the manual doesn't go into how to clean or adjust the carb. All it says it to have a qualified tech do it. How lame is that? Any suggestions? I've changed out a transmission in my lawn tractor. I think I can handle this ya know?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Vince O. :

Hello,lets start with the carb settings first.The adjustment screws might have plastic caps that can be pulled off.Turn them in and open two full turns to start with.Raise the idle screw a turn also,you can always back it off when running.As far as the chain not turning,make sure the chain brake is disengaged and there aren't any burrs on the drive links.If you have to remove bar and chain.

JACUSTOMER-g2kese6f- :

JACUSTOMER-g2kese6f- :

I couldn't see any carb adjustments except for a small screw adjustment inset directly above the primer bulb and adjusted that until the engine was idling better and then to run the chain without a problem. Would it be wise to run the engine totally out of gas to make sure the lines are clean? I failed to empty the gas tank last winter for storage. Thanks.

Vince O. :

There should be an opening above the idle screw where the high and low are at.They might be covered with a blue and red cap that you can pull off with needle-nose if it needs adjusted.

Vince O. :

If it starts easy and runs now I would think the lines are clear and fresh gas will clean the fuel filter.

Vince O. :

If the chain turns when saw is idling back off the screw until it stops.