Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines

My Troy Bilt / Briggs & Stratton push mower wont start. I replaced

My Troy Bilt / Briggs & Stratton push mower wont start. I replaced the spark plug, filter, gas, oil and cleaned the carb. YES, I left gas in it over the winter.

Also, it will start if I spray starter fluid into the carb but only for a minute
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jon K. replied 6 years ago.

Before we get into too much detail can I get the numbers off your engine?

Here is a link that shows what I am looking for.

Briggs & Stratton Numbers

It really sounds like you still have a fuel issue, can you explain what you did when you cleaned the carb.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I took the bowl off the bottom, loosened the carb from the moter and sprayed carb cleaner into any part i could hit

Expert:  Jon K. replied 6 years ago.

graphicThank you for that information.

Let's try a few easy remedies before we do a complete tear down and rebuild of your carburetor. Once again please remove the bowl from the bottom of the carb. Allow the fuel to drain for at least 30 seconds into a cup. We want to make sure there is no old fuel left in the fuel lines. While it is draining let's check the operation of the float also. If you move it upwards it should stop the flow of fuel. One last check, on the main jet (the bolt you removed to drop the bowl) there are a few small holes, we need to make sure they are all open and clean. A small bread wrap tie with the paper stripped off it or a torch tip cleaner works well. I'm adding a picture so you can see what I am talking about.