Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers

john deere lx 172-fc420v as10-put on a new ignition module-new

Customer Question

john deere lx 172-fc420v as10-put on a new ignition module-new coil and triger still no spark tried un hooking white wire from ignition sti ll no spark what next allso key wont crank engin ohmed all wires couldnt find a short any place
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 3 years ago.
Hello,have you disconnect the wire harness from the engine and jumped the starter direct to see if you then have spark?You could have a switch/interlock problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes i unhooked the white wire that i think is the kill wire from the switch and jumped the silenoid no spark at all

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes i unhooked the white wire that i think is the kill wire from the switch and jumped the silenoid no spark at all do i need power from the ignition to the coil

Expert:  Vince O. replied 3 years ago.
If the harness is disconnected from the engine that will eliminate all safety switches and power going to the engine and that's why I mentioned jumping the starter direct.If engine and components are ok you should have spark. Are you sure it is -AS10? It's not coming up.

Edited by Vince O. on 8/21/2010 at 12:55 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes is an as10
Expert:  Vince O. replied 3 years ago.

If there's a harness plug going to engine disconnect it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
did that still no spark
Expert:  Vince O. replied 3 years ago.
Take engine shroud back off and double check wires and routing,make sure none are pinched or bare.The air gap between coil and flywheel magnets should be approx 0.10.After doing all that you should have spark.Some coils can be put on upside down,I know,sounds silly but it has happened before.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
did that,even put a new wire from coil to trigger module ohmed new coil almost same reading as old one
Expert:  Vince O. replied 3 years ago.

Here's a link to a forum that has some useful information and what they have to say,this is part of it:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=240224

find the flat 3 wire connector running from the engine to the wiring harness. unplug it. you've now isolated the ignition from the machine.

check your spark plug cap. some of them had a resistor built into them and they go bad sometimes.

make sure they gave you the right coil.

i had a lx come in the shop with the same condition.

customer had installed a new style coil that has the ignitor built into it. they will not work on an external ignitor equipped engine unless you change the flywheel.

compare the old coil to the new. if the new one has a square looking end where the ground terminal is it won't work.

make sure the coil is installed in the proper direction.

all the white wire is is a ground once it leaves the ignitor. if any kind of voltage is applied it will fry the ignitor and coil.