Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines
29067132

I have a Troy Bilt (Briggs & Stratton 650 Series) and after

I have a Troy Bilt (Briggs & Stratton 650 Series) and after assisting a neighbor who was on vacation with her very tall thick grass, the mower would smoke and looks like it's dripping gas. I tried to start the mower today and it acts like it wants to start but doesn't, a little smoke appears as I pull the cord and it drips a bit of gas. My son thinks the air filter is full of gas. Do you think that's possible? Where is the air filter on this mower. Should I take it to a repair shop?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jon K. replied 4 years ago.

Can you get me the numbers off the engine? Here is a link to help you find them. It is very possible that the air filter is soaked especially if the mower was turned on it's side.

Briggs and Stratton Number Finder

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
124T05-4XXX-XX-XXXX2456
It was turned on it's side several times because the grass kept jamming the blades.
Expert:  Jon K. replied 4 years ago.

If it was turned it is very likely that the air filter has gas in it.

Your numbers came through as X's unfortunately. The system must think it is a phone number. Please try again with a space between each number.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
124T05 -4 9 4 7-8 2-0 9 0 2 2 4 5 6
Expert:  Jon K. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you that worked. There is a rectangular black box on the side of your engine held on by a 5/16" nut. It should also have a flat head screwdriver slot in the nut. Unscrew this and your air it should fold down with the air filter inside it. Remove the air filter and try to start it. Do not worry about it smoking as it may be flooded, and do not prime it.

You will know if the air filter is wet instantly, Just replace it with air filter part number 495188

Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience: Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines