Dr. Carburetor
Dr. Carburetor, Fuel Systems Engineer
Experience:  5 yrs Mechanic Experience, 3 yrs Education Director for B&S, 18 yrs carburetor engineering exp.
45701330

HI I HAVE A CRAFTSMAN LT 3000 RIDING MOWER. THE ENGINE WONT

HI:
I HAVE A CRAFTSMAN LT 3000 RIDING MOWER. THE ENGINE WON'T TURN OVER. I HAVE RULED OUT THE SOLENOID, STARTER MOTOR, FUSE AND BATTERY. I THINK IT MUST BE ONE OF THE INTERLOCK SWITCHES, WHERE ARE THEY LOCATED AND HOW DO I CHANGE OUT THE SWITCHES. I BELIEVE IT TO PROBABLY BE THE CLUTCH/ BRAKE SWITCH.

HELP
CHUCK

THANK YOU!!
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Dr. Carburetor replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Carburetor :

Can you turn the engine over by manually turning the fly-wheel? If you take a jumper cable and jump directly from the + terminal of the battery to the + terminal of the starter, will it crank? (Be really careful doing this that you are not in gear, or mower deck engaged.) The switches are located at the peddles, possibly under the seat, possibly at the transmission, and on the deck engagement lever. You can test the switches with an ohm meter.

Customer:

THE QUESTION I NEED ANSWERED IS, WHERE IS THE INTERLOCK SWITCH FOR THE CLUTCH/BRAKE PEDAL LOCATED?

Customer:

ALSO HOW TO REMOVE AND INSTALL.

Customer:

THANKS

Customer:

CHUCK

Dr. Carburetor :

Chuck, I looked on Sears Parts Direct and cannot find that model number listed, are you certain that is correct? Anyway, for the models they do have listed they have exploded views and wiring diagrams. The wiring diagrams show the safety switches if they exist. I am not a Sears mechanic, so I am not familiar with all the Sears models. Sometimes the switches are in the transmission, so you might see if there are wires coming out of the transmission case.

Customer:

TO DR. CARB.

Customer:

I TRIED YOUR SUGGESTION OF + BATTERY TO = STARTER AND TO MY SURPRISE NO CRANK. ONCE AGAIN NO=NEW BATT AND STARTER. COULD IT BE A GROUND PROBLEM. HELP

Customer:

THANKS!!

Customer:

CHUCK

Customer:

P,S ENGINE CAN BE TURNED MANUALLY..

Customer:

PLEASE NOTE CORRECTION I ATTACHED + BATT TO + STARTER.

Dr. Carburetor :

Sorry I have been off-line travelling Chuck. It sure does sound like a ground problem, though I have never experienced that! Test both the new and the old starter off the engine. Clip the + and - to a known good battery like on your car, and clip the + to the starter terminal and the - to the starter frame. Note: Make the final connections at the starter to avoid any hydrogen gas at the battery.

Customer:

DR. CARB

Customer:

WELL YOU WON' BELIEVE WHAT THE FINAL OUTCOME WAS!!-----I FINALLY HAD TO CALL OUT THE SEARS SERVICE DEPT. AND $95.00 LATER I WAS DETERMINED THAT SAM.S CLUB HAD SOLD BE A DEFECTIVE BATTERY. WHAT IS THE PROBABILITY OF A BRAND NEW BATT BEING DEFECTIVE---A FIRST FOR ME.----THANKS FOR YOUR HELP ANYWAY.

Customer:

I WILL CREDIT -ACCEPT- FOR YOUR VALID ATTEMPT

Customer:

THANKS

Customer:

CHUCK