Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

I have a B&S 6hp intek ic 206 on a leaf vac that dies after

I have a B&S 6hp intek ic 206 on a leaf vac that dies after 10 min. of run time.
starts up again after cool down. had it in the shop last fall and they did a carb clean/rebuild and worked ok but would die intermittently every so often.
now its back to 10 min. of run time..... don't want to spend another 150.00
for carb cleaning, if that is the real problem.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Ranwell1 :

First of all....If you paid $150 for only a carb cleaning you got ripped off.

Ranwell1 :

You actually could have bought a NEW carburetor for less than that.

Ranwell1 :

Having said that, the carburetor still could be the problem. The reason is this. You CANNOT lleave ANY gasoline in the engine while it is being stored over the winter. this will ALWAYS cause the carburetor passages to get restricted and clogged..

Ranwell1 :

Most of the time when this happens is is a carburetor or gasoline issue.

Here is my comprehensive carburetor and fuel answer that may give you some ideas.

As engines sit or get older, fuel that is left in the carburetor can turn to gum and varnish and cause this and other problems. Also, any gasoline that was left in a gas can for a period of more than 30 days must be discarded because it also has begun to turn to varnish.

Today's gasoline's contain alcohol. (Ethanol) They turn to "Junk and garbage" very quickly. Alcohol is partially water (H2O). And they call it "Oxygenated fuels! It is the oxygen that breaks down the organic compounds in the fuel and turns the gas to "Garbage" (Gum and varnish) The fuels we had just a few years ago had no alcohol in it and would store for longer periods of time before going stale... and fuel stabilizers do almost nothing to prevent the fuel from going bad with the changes in today's fuels.

Do not buy gas from the "Discount" Stations. The discount stations get a reduced price on gas because they may be buying fuel that is nearly 30 days old already. You may be getting fuel that's nearly stale right from the pump when buying from a discount station. Purchase your fuel from the well-known stations such as Shell, BP, Sonoco, Phillips 66 etc. You cannot EVER use gasoline that is over 30 days old or you can have all kinds of engine problems.

More than 70% of all of our repairs in our lawn mower business are due to this same issue. You most likely have dirt, gum, varnish...etc in your carburetor plugging up the small passageways and jets in the carburetor.

The carburetor must be removed from the engine. Clean all parts with carburetor cleaner and blow out all the small holes and passageways with compressed air. Remove all of the non-metallic parts since the carburetor cleaner will cause them to be disfigured decompose and plug the carburetor as time goes on.

Wash the carburetor cleaner off of the metal parts by washing them in warm, soapy water then rinsing with clean water. Dry them by blowing it off with compressed air. Make sure that all the passageways are blown dry before reassembling.

Reassemble using a NEW carburetor rebuild kit.

DO NOT TRY TO REASSEMBLE WITHOUT USING A COMPLTE CARBURETOR KIT! You will just end up having to do the job again.

ALWAYS clean the fuel tank and replace the fuel line when doing this repair or you may have to do it all over again. The inside of the fuel line disintegrates over time and these small pieces of rubber will plug up the carburetor too. Dirt and water from a dirty fuel tank will also plug up the carburetor. Find the Model, type and serial or code numbers off of the engine and take them to your local dealer to get the carburetor repair kit.

If you do the work yourself, take pictures or at least make a drawing of where all the linkages, gaskets, and component parts go. Correct reassembly is critical.

If the carburetor still doesn't work correctly, you may have to take it to someone who has an "Ultra-sonic" cleaning machine. This machine uses carb cleaner and ultrasonic vibrations to get the very small passageways clean when traditional methods fail.

In addition to the carburetor, Please make sure that you have the blade on right side up.

Also DO NOT EVER TURN THE MOWER ON IT'S SIDE !

You will get oil into places that it should not go. It will fill the air filter, and cylinder (Spark plug hole) and the muffler. This will also keep the engine form starting.

If you don't feel comfortable with this kind of repair I would suggest sending it to a reputable shop.

Feel free to contact me here at this question anytime ...even after you hit the "ACCEPT" button ...and I will try to help further.

Please click "ACCEPT" or I won't get paid.

You may also consider sending a bonus if I have been helpful, Please leave POSITIVE feedback for me as this is how I'm rated. Remember, a neutral is nearly as bad as a negative. If not satisfied, contact me and I will make it right. Thanks

Ranwell1 :

The other possibility is that the ignition coil could be breaking down under heat and is not produning spark until after it cools off.

Ranwell1 :

Start the engine and when it shuts off, use a spark tester to see if the spark has gone away. If it does not have spark after it gets hot , then the ignition is bad and must be replaced

Customer:

I use fresh gas and always use stable over the winter and the other machines don't have this problem. would this happen twice in 6 months after 4yrs of no problems?

Ranwell1 :

Yes it will. Stabilizers do NOT GOOD WHATSOEVER in todeays gasloline..because of the new formula of gas. The alcohol in the gas causes the gas to go bad much faster than it used to. In addition there are not nearly as many addititives beigh put in todays gas. I go through this at least 6 times every day at our shop.

Ranwell1 :

I guess I had a few mispellings in the las chat message.

Customer:

ok, but if the carb is mucked up, why would it run fine for 10 -15 min. and then quit?

Ranwell1 :

Stabilizers do NO GOOD WHATSOEVER in todays gasloline..because of the new formula of gas. The alcohol in the gas causes the gas to go bad much faster than it used to. In addition there are not nearly as many addititives being put in todays gas. I go through this at least 6 times every day at our shop.

Ranwell1 :

That is a good question and sometimes it has no real aswer. That is also why I mentioned at the end of my first answer that you should check the spark. Please look at the end of the first answer.

Ranwell1 :

Many times the gaslone will not enter the carburetor as fast as the engine uses it. It will then take about 10 minutes for the engine to run the carburetor dry. Then it will not have enough fuel for it to keep running. Then it will dies. then it can sit for a while and the carburetor bowl will again fill up and the cycle will start all over again.

Ranwell1 :

Here is the part of my answer having to do with the spark.

10:59 PM

Customer:

makes sense, I will try check the spark tomorrow. how hard is replacing coil/ignition or should i even try should that be the problem?

Customer:

great, thank for your help!

Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience: I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.