Rick
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.

I can not get my toro self propelled mower to start Have

I can not get my toro self propelled mower to start: Have replaced the spark plug and made sure the float was not stuck but nothing seems to help; help please!
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.
Does it have spark? You can check by removing the spark plug from the engine, putting the coil wire back on it and placing the plug in contact with the metal block. In a shaded or darkened area you should see a nice blue spark. Be careful and do not to touch the plug while doing this, just the insulator cap, we don't want to hear about you getting an unpleasant shock.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
rick; I can not see any spark and had my wife watch also!
Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.

Make sure you try a new spark plug to make sure it's not a bad plug. Sometimes, not often, you get a new bad plug. Remove the engine shroud then follow the spark plug wire to the ignition module. Disconnect the small ground wire plugged into the terminal at the base of the coil to make sure it's not a kill switch or shorted ground wire problem. While you're there, dangle a screwdriver from your fingertips near the flywheel magnets. It should draw the screwdriver from about a 1/2" away. Finally, take the coil off and clean the connection points where the coil and engine meet with a bit of sandpaper, both the coil and the engine. If these steps don't solve the problem, you have a bad ignition module that will need to be replaced.

If you get spark with the ground wire removed, let me know and we'll go through the troubleshooting on the ground circuit.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have never done this before, if you will stay with me I would appreciate it in case I need any help, thanks.
Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.
I'll be on for at least another hour, then I'll be back on later this evening. So, yes, I should be able to help you through. If you run into trouble, please let me know your model and serial number when you reply. Best of success.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok Rick, I have taken the coil out and it is fully contained and can not sand anything that I can see! The number on the coil is 1A138-52-12 (5049) does that give you any idea where I can find a replacement?
Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.

What I'm talking about sanding it the mounting posts on the engine where is mounts. Also the metal portion around metal lamination (metal stacks) around the coil where the holes are. You want to be sure to have a good connection between the metal part of th coil and the engine block.

The part number is XXXXX 34443D and you can get it from any local lawnmower repair shop, or here is a search for comparing prices online.

http://www.google.com/products?q=34443d&oe=&hl=en&scoring=p

Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience: Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.