Rick
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
20444326

Hello, Ive got an 11 HP vertical B&S engine, model 252707,

I've got an 11 HP vertical B&S engine, model 252707, type 0676-01, code 83040411. It starts fine and runs for 30 seconds, starts to spudder and shutsdown. It seems like the few seconds of operation and subsequent heating causes the problem. Any ideas, please would be appreciated. Thanks
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
Does it restart right away and do the same thing again?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, it does. The first start is the best and it also runs the longest. Subsequent starts aren't as good and the run-time gets shorter. Thanks
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.

Does it start easily? Do you have a compression gauge to take a cylinder reading?

Have you been through the carburetor for a cleaning and rebuild?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes, it starts easy...and runs good for 30 seconds. Compression seems okay, but didn'y use a gauge. The carb is clean, but I did not make any adjustments.

Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
Gotta ask, how do you know the carburetor is clean? You can't always tell visually. Was it torn apart and soaked?

Edited by Rick on 7/30/2010 at 6:59 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

After the problem started, I removed the bowl and the air cleaner. The bowl was clean, but I recleaned it, checked float and needle valve and reassembled. That was it, and it had no affect.

Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
The bowl being clean is a good thing, but it's rarely the source of a problem. It's the small passages that you cannot see that get plugged. From what you describe I would do a teardown and soak cleaning of the carburetor then blow compressed air through all the passages. If the carburetor hasn't been cleaned in at least two years, this would be the best starting point in my opinion. Then if the problem persists, that can be ruled out. Easily 70% of the problems we see are carburetor related because of today's fuels. Fuel older than three weeks is a potential problem unless a stabilizer is used.