Rick
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
20444326

HI ,I bought Bolens 15.5 hp 38 in riding mower model # 13am762f765

Customer Question

HI ,I bought Bolens 15.5 hp 38 in riding mower model # XXXXX (183629) The mower goes in reverse and goes great,I try putting it in fowored and it pops in and out of gear sometimes it goes ok but it just wont stay in forwored,??????? please help!!!!!
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
You're talking just about jumping out of forward on the gearbox? When it's in gear the variable speed drive system is okay? What is the serial number also, please?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Serial # XXXXX (000006)
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
You're talking just about jumping out of forward on the gearbox? When it's in gear the variable speed drive system is okay?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
in reverse it will go with no problems thru any gear, somthing in the linkage is not in gauging all the way in forward,works fine in Reverse!!
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.

Take a look at the illustration below. There's a nut and bolt in a slot that controls the position of #33 in relation to the shift lever. See if that doesn't make a difference for you.

graphic

Let me know and we'll continue...

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how do i ajust it, loosen the 1/2 size bolt,?!!
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.

Yes. If you look at the linkage where it hooks to the shaft that goes into the transmission, the shaft slides in and out in three detent positions - forward, neutral, and reverse. Put it in neutral, then loosen the nut and adjust the sliding portion until the shift lever you move falls into the neutral slot properly. that should give you the proper positioning for all three.

Let me know. If this adjustment isn't the fix we'll look for internal problems next.