RUSS
RUSS, SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Experience:  28 YEAR SERVICE TECHNICIAN

I Have a Cub Cadet LT1045, 2007, with a Kohler Courage 20HP

Customer Question

I Have a Cub Cadet LT1045, 2007, with a Kohler Courage 20HP engine. I can't get it
to run when I open the choke. I've changed the plug, fuel filter, and air filter unit.I called
a small engine mechanic and he came out, took off the carbureter, cleaned and adjusted it,
and put it back on. Still no luck. He finally told me that the problem was the carb solenoid,
but he didn't have one, that I'd have to get one and install it. So, I ordered the solenoid,
installed it, and still have the same problem. It starts up and runs fine,as long as the choke is closed. As soon as I try to open it up it dies. I'm pretty much stumped at this point. Any help would be much appreciated.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  RUSS replied 4 years ago.

HI

Since you replaced the fuel solenoid, make sure you have 12vdc at the solenoid. if you do then do the following

REMOVE THE CARBURETOR

DISASSEMBLE THE CARBURETOR

SOAK BODY AND PARTS OVERNIGHT IN NAPA COMMERCIAL CARB CLEANER

REASSEMBLE WITH A CARB KIT FROM LOCAL DEALER

REINSTALL CARB

DRAIN FUEL TANK AND LOOK IN THE FUEL SUPPLY CAN FOR WATER

NOTE: SOMETIMES A CARBURETOR CANNOT BE SAVED AND HAS TO BE REPLACED

ALWAYS DIAGRAM THE LINKAGE AND PARTS SO IT GETS REASSEMBLED PROPERLY

ALWAYS USE STABIL IN THE FUEL

ALWAYS RUN ENGINE EVERY THREE WEEKS IN OFF SEASON TO CIRCULATE FUEL

RUSS, SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Experience: 28 YEAR SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How do I check the solenoid? I don't have any electrical testing equipment. It does get

hot, I'm guessing that means it's getting current?

Expert:  RUSS replied 4 years ago.
I HATE TO ASSUME ANYTHING The solenoid being warm may not be an indication but if it is you need to then soak the carburetor as outlined. i would still want to measure voltage. if you cant then we may be at an impasse.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Russ, I'll go ahead and see if I can borrow something to test the solenoid voltage with, and if I need to will remove the carb and soak overnight as you advised. I appreciate

your input, thanks!

Expert:  RUSS replied 4 years ago.
THANKS YOU ARE WELCOME GOOD LUCK