Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines

I have a briggs stratton 17.5 hp 31c7070230e1 and its 6 years

I have a briggs stratton 17.5 hp 31c7070230e1 and its 6 years old. it runs about ten to fifteen minutes then acts like its starving for fuel. I replaced filter gas cap. plug. not sure where to go next?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jon K. replied 6 years ago.
Next time it dies try this test. Remove the spark plug and ground the threaded portion to the block of the engine (bare metal) Make sure the plug wire is plugged into it. The same way you would normally start this engine (depending on what the engine runs) try it and watch the spark plug. You should have a nice bright blue spark. Very often The ignition coil will go bad once it heats up and you will loose spark. It sounds like this may be the case here.