Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a B&S engine OHV ELS 500 18.5 hp with 284 hrs. On Husk

Customer Question

I have a B&S engine OHV ELS 500 18.5 hp with 284 hrs. On Husky from TSC. It will run for approx. 10 to 15 min. and lose power. Will then stop and then restart and will stall again. If it rest for approx 10 min. we go throught it all over again. Took it to Husky service shop for TSC. They did every thing they know ie cheaked fuel system, valves, head gasket, points, coil etc. . They do not know what to do so I paid and brought it home. Can you help?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 years ago.
Check the electric solenoid in the base of the carburetter. It is the fuel shutoff solenoid, if it heats up and starts loosing its strength, it closes the fuel passage in the carburetor and shuts off the engine. Check it by listening for it to click when you turn the key on and off. It has ti=o stay open for engine to run. Once you know the sound, listen for it when the unit stalls. Listen for the click, no click, no fuel. Let me know. Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The service people supposedly checked this solenoid. They told me that either it works or it doesn't. In other words if it shut of it would stop now and not just run at low speed or at diff. speeds. Are you telling me that it can also starve the carb./ engine of gas so that it would only idle and than stop? ken
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 years ago.
Yes, you would think that it is on or off, but in reality, it can move and it can cause intermittent problems. The best way to test is remove it and replace with regular bowl bolt , but it you don't have access to a bolt, you just have to check its operation when the problem occurs.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ok I want to try this tomarrow. So how do I get back to you? It is now 11pm so I will have to wait until morning.

Ken

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 years ago.
Just come back to same place, Do Not hit Accept and the question will stay open for as long as necessary.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be mailing you tomarrow.

Ken

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 years ago.
I will be here.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Sorry I did not get back to before. Just a long day. Checked the solenoid before starting it and got to know the sound. Ran it until it stopped and and quickly turned key on and off and heard the click each time it stopped. So it is not the solenoid. However, I did find the problem and gave it a temp. fix will give a perm. later. Was so happy that I went out and cut for an hour in the fine rain and it never did lose power or stop. You were in the right church but wrong pew. I told the service person I took it to that I thought also that it was due to the solenoid but he convinced me that either it worked or it did not. ( as stated before) I might as well have saved my $80 I paid him to check it out and he had ii for 8 weeks. Can you guess what the problem was. Also I do not want to say that I was not satisfied with my expert but I do not think that I should have to pay the $11. How do I do that??

Ken

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 years ago.
I would be curious to know what you found! You don't have to pay. This is satisfaction guaranteed site. Just don't accept and don't give me a negative rating. I wish I could say I was always right, but we both know that is not possible.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I would not give you a neg. rating because I know that if you were with the machine you would have gotten it. Just as the individual I took it to should not have been so sure that it was not a gas starvation problem. ( I also found out that he is not the offical repair shop for the TSC only that some of the workers are sending him business.) Which is ok but he should not charge if he can not solve the problem if he hold himself out to being able to fix it.

I knew it was starving for gas so took the solenoid out and check yes it was snaping in an out as it should but I noted that the neoprem at the top of the plunger was pushed up on the serated part. I pushed it down and as it went in and out it came back up. So called real offical parts person and he said I had to purchase the whole solenoid as that neoprem at top did not come seperate. As the machine viberated it was letting this come up and partly block the gas flow. I used a rap around the seration and then pushed the neoprem back on. It worked fine. I will use a little liquid steel to fix it in the next few days. On the inside so that it can not come out and foul the carbarator. So what do I just do nothing now I do not want to click on (not satisfied with you expert) because I am. I would and probably us you again.

Ken

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 years ago.
You know you can do away with this solenoid, all you need is an inline fuel shut off valve. Briggs #494768, about $5.50. Just take the end off the solenoid and disable it, unhook the wire harness to it and you will not have the problem again.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks I will do that . ken
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 years ago.
Good job!!