J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
13636126

I have a MTD snowblower Model 317E610E000. The machine will

Customer Question

I have a MTD snowblower Model 317E610E000. The machine will not move when the drive lever is engged. I have the machine split in the middle, found and replace the 2 belts but to no avail. The one
e belt will not tighten enugh to propel the machine. What would be wrong to cause this failure? How would I go about getting to the defective part(s) ad getting new parts
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
Are you certain that you have both belts routed correctly? Did you use genuine belts? If not what size belts did you use?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The belts are routed to follow the route of the removed belts. I used genuine MTD belts
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.

Does the belt tighten up when you pull the handle to engage it? If not and the belt is routed correctly then check the cable or rod that actuates it and see if you can tighten it up.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The drive belt does not tighten up no matter how I try to get the machine moving. I have been informed that there is tensioner some where in the drive train. I am unable to find this part and how to replace it.

Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
The drive belt has to tighten up before the machine will move. If the drive belt is not getting tight when you pull the handle then it will not move. The only way the drive belt cannot get tight is that either the belt is not routed correctly or the engagement cable or lever needs to be adjusted. The drive belt turns a shaft that is connected to the gear/chain.