Kevin, Technician
Experience:  Over 10 years as a Deere Service Tech.

Have a john deere lawn tractor l111. took tire off and repaired,

Customer Question

Have a john deere lawn tractor l111. took tire off and repaired, was there ball bearings in there and i lost them. Is a groove along shaft. put tire back on but tactotor won't move.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  jcook replied 6 years ago.
It sounds like the square key was lost when the rear wheel was removed. It goes between the axle and the rim. There is no bearings in there. Remove the same wheel again and you will more than likely find the key fell out. This will cause the axle to spin free inside the rim and the tractor will not move. You will have to locate this key. Look where you took the wheel off and see if it fell out on the ground or the floor. If you cannot find it you will have to ge a new one. Talk in a bit, Jason
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Key is in place and in groove, axle moves , tire does not. groove all the way up axle
Expert:  jcook replied 6 years ago.

If the axle is spinning inside the rim then the key is missing. Make sure you check both sides. If one side is missing it will do the same thing. Check both sides as well as make sure the free wheel lever is pushed all the way in in the rear of the tractor. With the brake unlocked and the free wheeling lever at the rear pushed in try and push the tractor. If the tractor rolls then the key is missing in one of the rear wheels. This is a good way to test.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks any how guess you tried.
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 years ago.

Hello, my name is Kevin.

I don't have a whole lot to add to Jcooks answer as it sounds like the correct approach for your situation. I can however provide you with a break down of the transmission so that you can see where the bearings and keys all go.

Hope this helps,